No announcement yet.

Pickled Courgettes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made mine last night - looks great , yellow corgettes and the red chilli flakes.
    Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

• Bumped for Mally and anyone else who has gone a bit overboard on the courgettes this year

Comment

• Can anyone remember how many 8oz jars the original 500g of courgettes recipe makes?

I'm doing a pickling workshop at the weekend [I was asked as someone dropped out] and I want to use this recipe.

I am using 3.5oz jars, and this is 99g, so presumably each recipe would make 5 3.5oz jars; but I just remember it being more than this feels [in my head].

Just wondered if someone remembers how many jars it made?

Comment

• Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
          Can anyone remember how many 8oz jars the original 500g of courgettes recipe makes?

I'm doing a pickling workshop at the weekend [I was asked as someone dropped out] and I want to use this recipe.

I am using 3.5oz jars, and this is 99g, so presumably each recipe would make 5 3.5oz jars; but I just remember it being more than this feels [in my head].

Just wondered if someone remembers how many jars it made?
          Sorry Zaz, I can't remember exactly but like you I'm sure it was more than 5 jars.

Comment

• I'm just going to have to go for it and if there is any left over, sell it and the conference people funding it can have the cash back.

Comment

• I had mine fill up a litre jar and a bit left over if that helps. It also depends on how finely you slice the courgettes - I used a mandolin which got them very thin.
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

• Ok Jeanie - that does.

*rushes off to fill up a litre jar and do some volume calcs.

Actually, that is much more like it. The 3.5oz jars would be fl oz, not actual oz - which means 125ml, so each batch would fill 8 ish jars - so only 4 lots of stuff needed not 6.

Love you J. xxx
                Last edited by zazen999; 28-06-2012, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• ...............I've still got a jar of this minging stuff from last year I detested it so much!

I might give it a try and see if its matured with age, but I doubt it!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    ...............I've still got a jar of this minging stuff from last year I detested it so much!

You must have strange taste buds Snadger, I love it (or maybe it's my taste buds)

Comment

• Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      ...............I've still got a jar of this minging stuff from last year I detested it so much!

If you guesstimated the sugar as you said, I suspect it's not got enough in it. You could try adding some more and leaving it overnight and seeing if it sorts itself.

I guesstimated the weight of courgettes, as I only had the ones that I picked last week at Ryton plus the ones that one of the gardeners had already picked; and unbelieveably - we ran out of courgettes on the very last person's jar.

I had some of the prepped vinegar left though - quite a bit of it. So I made some with our own courgettes last night and bottled the rest for future pickling of courgettes.

Everyone seemed to be happy with their jars, and were showing them off at lunchtime - causing a doubling of numbers in the afternoon as people swapped workshops!

Comment

• Think I'll stick with my newly aquired taste for frittatas made with my own multi coloured courgettes and my own hens eggs if you don't mind!
                        Might even freeze a few this year.

As I'm growing gherkins this year, this is the pickle I'm most looking forward to

Pickled courgettes are a bit like marmite...........you either love it or hate it!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Hiya guys new to all this how long will the jars keep and do you need to leave it mature before eating. Thanks xx

Comment

• It depends on how much you like it Lulubell - this gets eaten a few days after making it in my house - but it is better kept for a week or two before eating. And if people didn't constantly scoff it, it could be kept for a good while in the fridge - I think I have one tucked away from prying eyes that I made last year but it will be scoffed before the summer is out.
                            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

• You can eat it after 24 hours, just time for the vinegar to do it's stuff and it keeps years if it isn't all eaten up by then.

Comment

• Thanks both just gonna jar up xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X