Low Pectin, No Set for This Jam!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Pectin, No Set for This Jam!

And, actually, you experienced Jam-Makers will probably wonder why on earth I tried to actually MAKE a Jam from Cape Gooseberry & Passionfruit, but, as the abbreviation society would say: There We Are Then...., which does indeed spell TWAT.

But please don't say that too loud.

I have a beautiful-tasting 'runny-consistency kind of CONSERVE' (and The French would simply adore it on my Croissants) but the point is that I'd like to make it into a 'firmer set consistency' jam (because I want to enter it into a local show).

I'm going to need it in a one pound jam jar, obviously with wax disc and cellophane cover on top.

Clearly, if I'm intent on entering it for The Show, I will need to interfere with it somehow, as the judges probably won't entertain its' consistency as is on the basis that The French just love Conserves, n'est pas?

Do I stick it in the microwave with a teaspoon of pure Lemon Juice?
    Do I add a vat of Liquid Pectin
    Do I not enter my pride and joy into the show for the last year that I'm here?
    (boo hoo)

Not wishing to alter it's flavour at all, I would dearly welcome your advice, and thank you thank you thank you in advance!
    X

First off, it sounds delish.

And then to reply in the spirit of well-meaning ignorance, I rather suspect that once it's been made, it's made and it's been made and can't be remade.

Whereas I've heard of adding a lemon to pectinise (is that a word??) marmalade, I would have thought that it would change the taste of the cape goosegog & passionfruit.

My mum made damson jam when we were little which set like concrete so you could make the next lot with a damson chucked in, but that would affect the taste too?

Flum might know if the current batch can be rescued...

Personally, I'd just scoff the lot on the croissants and sod The Show...

Comment

Sounds like it would be good over ice cream too Wellie. Not sure on the reboiling with pectin bit - maybe try some and see?
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Adding pectin and reboiling sounds like it could work (not actually tried, but seems reasonable). Lemon juice won't, because all that does is extract and activate whatever pectin the fruit contains (I think) and I'm pretty sure it won't be effective after the sugar has been added (trying to remember info from making jam in school cookery lessons, and not about to admit how long ago that was).
        Adding pectin for a (gentle) reboil is probably worth a try. I doubt you would need more than a teaspoonful per jamjar (if as much, because I've never added bottle pectin, so don't know the quantities). If it is going to work, it shouldn't need more than bringing back to boil and testing for 'setting point' (thermometers are all very well, but if you use the wrinkle test you find out about low pectin at that stage)
        If you want 'natural' pectin (as opposed to buying it), gooseberries are one of the best sources. Boil them very soft in the tiniest quantity of water, then strain, It won't hurt to squeeze the straining bag (as long as you don't make it burst). The liquid from half-a-pound of gooseberries is enough to make a 5lb (end quantity) strawberry jam batch behave. I have used redcurrants in strawberry jam for the same purpose. Same method, but gooseberries might make less difference to the colour of a non-red jam.
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I'd have thought that lemon juice would work fine and you won't need that much so it won't affect the taste very much - it's only the same as the lemon juice I put in my strawberry jam at the weekend. Definitely make sure that you get it up to the setting temperature otherwise obviously it won't work and then do a load of wrinkle testing if you want to be sure.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            I'd have thought that lemon juice would work fine and you won't need that much so it won't affect the taste very much - it's only the same as the lemon juice I put in my strawberry jam at the weekend. Definitely make sure that you get it up to the setting temperature otherwise obviously it won't work and then do a load of wrinkle testing if you want to be sure.
            Doesn't the lemon juice get added BEFORE boiling with the sugar? My understanding is that that is the only way it works, but that could just be 'we've always done it that way' from my teacher.

Comment

I meant to add it to the jam as it is now and then boil it up - don't see why it would matter if it was before or after the sugar but will check in my preserve book later to be sure.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Wellie sweets, am I too late? Let me tell you folks, I have a jar of said jam and it is delish and perfectly good on croissants.

I haven't quite finished it yet so do you want me to try anything on my jar first. Do you have any redcurrants? You could lay bricks with my redcurrant and goosegog jam so I'm thinking they have a lot of pectin in. Give me a shout if there's anything I can do.
                A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Adding acid, i.e lemon juice, is to help extract any pectin availible in the fruit, so it needs to be done before adding the sugar. the idea of getting pectin extract, bottled or home made (can use apples which are pretty neutral flavour), sounds the best bet, then reboil. I did this one year with strawberry jam that didn't set, the fruit was too ripe so the pectin had broken down.
                  If you have the chance to use low pectin fruit again, I use the sugar with pectin added, you only boil for 4 mins, but I've still found it keeps OK.
                  I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                  Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Why is it that jams sets much more successfully when it's microwaved ? I only ask as a male who has observed my BH jam making.

Comment

Adding acid, i.e lemon juice, is to help extract any pectin availible in the fruit, so it needs to be done before adding the sugar.

I thought that was it!

Comment

Originally posted by Tam View Post
                        Why is it that jams sets much more successfully when it's microwaved ? I only ask as a male who has observed my BH jam making.
                        I've used the microwave to cook fruit, but once the sugar is in, I wouldn't even consider it. It may be that your OH's best recipes are microwave ones.....

Comment

Oh, I KNEW I could rely on You!!! Thank you so very, very much....

It's WAY too late at night now to actually DO anything with said jam, but I am THAT 'cited now that I could jump up and down (if I wasn't so dead on my feet)

Please, just for now, accept my heartfelt thanks.
                          You will have my full attention over this coming weekend.

Oh Scarey Clarey 55 my sweet, finish the jar angel, you're most welcome! And actually, great minds think alike. Mrs. Happy Couple shares your thoughts there too? Her words were almost identical to yours', in that she thought it would be fab over icecream, and so does her mother in Ireland as well?..... Aahh! to be sure, Wellie's Jam's got over t'Norn'Irelan too....... (Not a yet missed opportunity for Wellie, as long as Leana or Clare don't want too much commission in the near future?!)XX

Catch up with this again in the next day or two peeps?
                          So could I call on you again if I need your expertise then too?
                          Thanks once again.
                          X

Comment

I DO apologise..... I've not 'done it yet'! As I got distracted with trying to sell the cottage, which is a poor excuse, I know, but I am MORE than happy to report that my lovely friend Scarey Clarey55 over en France, HAS 'done it yet' with some Lemon Juice, and reports a resounding success.

So, if you're reading this my darling girlie-whirly, could you let us know what you did? and then I can follow your instructions with my pot of said jam.....which would be just perfect. Thank you. X

Comment

Crikey luvlie, that was ages ago

All I did was...
                              put a little bit in a saucepan - I really do mean a little bit 'cause I didn't want to waste what I have, I squirted some lemon juice in and boiled it for a few minutes (no really, just a few) and then did the wrinkle test and Voilla! c'est bon

I can't really say how much lemon juice but I think that if the jar is the same size as the one you bought over I should think the juice of half a lemon would be enough.

Have fun and do let us have a photo of your first prize rosette
                              A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X