No announcement yet.

Pickled Chilli's

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just found this thread AFTER pickling some chillies!

I had green and red chillies and I pickled them seperately.

I cut them into 1/4" pieces, seeds and all, blanched them with boiling water for 20 seconds, rinsed them with cold water which also dislodged a lot of the seeds, bunged them in jars and poured Sarsons clear malt vinegar over them!

Will they be ok, or have I made a boo boo?

I honestly couldn't be bothered with boiling stuff and adding stuff!

PS Washed my hands and then had my Sunday dinner. Got a bit of meat stuck in between my teeth and tried to prise it out.........now my lips are on fire!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

ouch! you do know its Saturday though Snadger?
      smiling is infectious....

http://www.thehudsonallotment.blogspot.com/ updated 28th May 2008

Comment

Originally posted by vicki View Post
        ouch! you do know its Saturday though Snadger?
        Ohhh cripes..........her indoors has cooked the Sunday dinner tonight............flaming egg an chips tomorra again!
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Have you ever heard of Sambal Oelek? It's Indonesian chilli sauce (lots of pounded chillies) often sold in jar and found in Asian stores but I'm sure Sainsbury/Tesco will stock them in their exclusive corner, at a matching exclusive price too. You'll find lots of recipes on the net.

If you have lots of chillies, this is useful way of using them up. If you like your food spicy, you can use them as dip, put little in soup or noodle soup, stir in a tiny bit for fried rice to give a zing.....
          Food for Free

Comment

This thread is ace - I have got 14 kg of Apache chillies to deal with, 5 kg of Cheyenne and about the same of Jalapenos.
            Whoever told me that chilli seeds had a poor germination rate was wrong !!
            Rat

British by birth
            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Obo,

I dried my chilllies and pickled them too. I dried my bird eyes chillies last year and i just pickled some of them several months ago, mine are done very fast, just put all the dried chillies in an pot, pour in wine vinegar, add 2 bay leaves in it, voila... let it soak for 3weeks by that time it will be ready( the chillies became slightly soft and plum ), use the vinegar or the chillies or used them together for dipping, salad dressing or in cooking.

Momol
              I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

We've tried a different way of pickling chillis, similar to pickling onions - cut the stems off, poured salt over & in them, left them overnight. Next day, rinsed them off, packed them in jars, poured vinegar over, sealed jars. OH has just started using them, says they're fantastic in sandwiches and salads - still crunchy!

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                  We've tried a different way of pickling chillis, similar to pickling onions - cut the stems off, poured salt over & in them, left them overnight. Next day, rinsed them off, packed them in jars, poured vinegar over, sealed jars. OH has just started using them, says they're fantastic in sandwiches and salads - still crunchy!
                  Can I assume you de-seeded them first? Mine were cut cross wise, like shop bought jalepeno's but I fancy doing the next batch whole like yours!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi snadger,

You can deseed it or just as it is, but the one with seeds will be spicier. I do mine with seeds.

Momol
                    I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Right, I've split a batch of red chillies lengthwise and took the seeds out (I'm a bit of a wuss!)
                      I've given them a good coating of sea salt, but I'm not sure why? I intend rinsing them tomorrow and pickling them (ah la Sarzwix!)

One thing that occurred to me was the waste of all those seeds! If they were dried and ground up with a pestle and mortar, would this be what the white ground pepper you buy to use as a condiment is? Or is that something completely different?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Something completely different! You could grind them up to make some madly hot chilli powder??!! Or if they're from ripe chillis, save the seeds and grow them next year? We did ours with seeds still in as OH has a mouth like asbestos... I won't be eating them though!

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                          I've given them a good coating of sea salt, but I'm not sure why? I intend rinsing them tomorrow and pickling them (ah la Sarzwix!)
                          The salt is to draw moisture out of the chillis, so that once they're in the vinegar the juices don't dilute the acidity of the vinegar to below 'keeping' levels. Same as with pickled onions

Comment

I'm bringing this one back up the pages cos I am about to try pickling my ton of chillis á la SarzW
                            aka
                            Suzie

Comment

this looks good too:

Pickled Chillis

1 lb mixed hot, mild and sweet peppers
                              3 tbls sea salt
                              6 garlic cloves
                              handful of coriander
                              about 1/2 pint of cider vinegar
                              3 tbls olive oil

Place peppers into a glass bowl and cover with the salt turning occasionally for about 2 hours. Heat oil in large pan and throw in the roughly chopped garlic until it sizzles and peppers and coriander for about 2 minutes, do not let peppers soften. Turn into sterilized jars and cover with boiling cider vinegar, leaving slight gap at top. Seal jars and place into boiling water for 15 minutes, remove jars, cool and label and keep for at least 2 weeks before trying.
                              aka
                              Suzie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X