Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How clean?

or rather how much to clean?

I am thinking ahead to when (not if!) I get produce to pickle/preserve etc - I have clean jars, but they are just clean as in washed in hot soapy water and air dried.

Should I be doing something heavy duty like boiling/miltoning?
    aka
    Suzie

I wash, dry then put them in the oven for half an hour on a low heat. This should sterilise them sufficiently. If you're potting hot stuff (jam, chutney etc) it's necessary to make sure the jars are hot too, so you just pot them at this point.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

thanks - I'm planning on having a go at the rhubarb and ginger jam in April's GYO, even tho I have to BUY the darn sticks cos mine is still in nappies as it were

Oh yes, just remembered - what if there is a lingering smell from the previous contents - bicarb maybe?
      Last edited by piskieinboots; 04-04-2008, 04:10 PM.
      aka
      Suzie

Comment

Definitely best to put them in a warm oven for a while,after washing them with the hottest water you can stand, you don't want mouldy jam!!
        Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

but what of the whiff from the curry sauce that was in the jar before - how do you get shot of that smell?
          aka
          Suzie

Comment

if youve got a strong smell, try soaking in some milton and it tends to be the lid not the glass & then as above before you use them
            The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Use your curry ones for pickles Suzie - and sweetet smelling ones for jams.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Again, I agree with Flummery - but I clean mine in the hottest water my hands (with thick rubber gloves) will stand. Then I rinse in water with a strong milton solution - straight into the oven to sterilse. I've done this for the last couple of years, and we are all still living! Bernie aka DDL
                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Mine get put through the dishwasher on the hottest cycle, then put in the oven to keep warm until I'm ready for them. I don't bother with Milton as dishwasher tabs contain bleach anyway. But without dishwsher, either leave in the oven (set higher than 100°c) for at least half hour, or soak in Milton for 20 mins, then warm oven.
                  As for the whiffy ones, Hans Mum is right, it'll be the lids which still smell & in my experience nowt gets rid of it! If they're standard size jars you can get lids to fit from Lakeland, the home of creative kitchenware, or if not, you can use wax circles and cellophane covers (also available from Lakeland or your local cookshop) with elastic bands round em.

Comment

excellent - thanks all
                    aka
                    Suzie

Comment

Piskie, If you want to pop over - I have rhubarb for you! I work near to Bladon, so can bring it this far for you ;-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X