No announcement yet.

Homemade Crisp Anyone?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know Tyrelly shallow fry their crisps, so if you don't have the microwave thingy and can't be bothered to wait for the oven to bake them, you could shallow fry them in small batches.

Yum yum, i'm in a mind to make some next time i have some decent potatoes (my stored ones have gone a bit wrinkly and sprouty now! )
    There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
    Happy Gardening!

Comment

it's dangerous, this forum...

.....it keeps making me buy things!

(Microwave crisp thingy on its way as we speak....)
      Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Originally posted by kentvegplot View Post
        .....it keeps making me buy things!

(Microwave crisp thingy on its way as we speak....)
        oh yeah, where did you order it from? Any from the online store with piccie ?

This is the Japanese microwave crisp maker I was talking about:

TOKYOMANGO: Microwave Potato Chip Maker
        Last edited by veg4681; 27-02-2008, 06:36 PM.
        Food for Free

Comment

Mine looks like that but I think it was from lakeland or maybe betterware!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

whilst turning over my compost (consisting mainly of old coffe grounds, rabbit poo and wood shavings) the other day and having that lovely coffee aroma hit me before it went in I had an idea.

If like me you have a glut of parsnips from last years crop (mine are still in the ground and just starting to re-sprout) I've had an idea......

I just a batch of alternative coffee from a couple of the blighters. And even if i say so myself it does taste rather good. All i did was wizz them up in a food processor (skins and all) until fairly small chunks that was all that remained of the poor things, layed the chunks out on a baking tray and bunged them in an oven at 200 deg C for about 15-20 mins until they resembled that freeze dried coffee stuff you can buy. You might need a large heaped teaspoon or more to get the strength you require but its worth a try if you have the oven on and you are bored with just roasted parsnips. I'm now saving all the peelings and odd bits to make some more.

And the beauty of it all is i'm still putting the "parsnips grounds" into the compost.
            If Bindweed was edible i'd be a multi millionaire with a chain of restaurants selling the stuff with the amount I have on my plot.

Comment

Originally posted by veg4681 View Post
              oh yeah, where did you order it from? Any from the online store with piccie ?

This is the Japanese microwave crisp maker I was talking about:

TOKYOMANGO: Microwave Potato Chip Maker
              Coo, no, nothing as posh as that, I found one on ebay. I'll let you know if it's any good.
              Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Nudger, it sounds like the dandelion coffee they used to make (tried it myself when clearing dandelions from an overgrown plot.) Not bad but not exactly like coffee.

Comment

Flummery, regarding the dandelion coffee... thats pretty much where I came up with the idea for it as both have those long roots, but the parsnip coffee is a lot nicer. I found the dandelion coffee really bitter and as you say not like coffee.

I've since been looking around the internet and foud you can make another mock coffee or as I now like to call them mocoffee out of chick peas. I may well give it a try.
                  If Bindweed was edible i'd be a multi millionaire with a chain of restaurants selling the stuff with the amount I have on my plot.

Comment

I've managed to make some acceptable tasting homemade crisps. Use a decent variety potato (not your no frills spuds) that is recommended for roasting, obviously not salad potato. Slice the potato thinly using potato peeler and deep fry them in hot oil. Try not to put too many slices at any one time as they can stick. I didn't find them that oily so no need to use the microwave method. Also tried this with parsnips but they tend to be too dry. I did miss the seasoning bit as I like a bit of flavouring on my crisps .
                    Last edited by veg4681; 07-03-2008, 05:09 PM.
                    Food for Free

Comment

i was lookin for some thing else and saw this
                      How To Make Home Cooked Potato Chips Recipe (Food & Drink: Vegetable)

Comment

This gives you fried crisps though Axe70. The microwave thingie uses no oil. In my book this makes them better for you (therefore you can have more!) Or is this just women's logic?

Comment

i used a hand held cheese slicer tiz a bit wider that the potatoe peeler. trick is to have the oil clean and hot, as someone said not to many in as they do stick, then i transfer them to a prelined *with kitchen roll* colander and season straight away chopped cheese and pickled onions are nice, but the vinegar does make them soggy quicker, or dips

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X