Kiwis - not in jam though

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiwis - not in jam though

I've made almost 25lb of kiwi jam and still have about 20lb of ripening kiwi fruits.

I've been through the French (and UK) books I have on preserves and nothing on alternatives to the jam - strange really, seems the locals here just eat them straight from the skin and don't want to cook them.

So any ideas for alternative recipes, can I substiture kiwi for - say - plums or mangos for chutney?

And I'm looking for the Margueritte Patten book on preserves at the moment.
    TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Tony

Do a Google search for 'kiwi fruit recipes'. There are over one million hits

KK

Comment

Done that already - but I'm looking for recipes that people may have tried that work.
      TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

You can make a sort of accompaniment type sauce (precision ISN'T my middle name!) somewhat like a gooseberry sauce for mackerel or apple sauce for pork. They are just sufficiently sharp to make a good contrast to something rich. You can also peel and use in chunks in casseroles with similar foods. Pork and kiwi works like pork and prunes, pork and apple etc.

However, unless you want to freeze portions of kiwi sauce that's not much help!

BTW have you tried Kiwi Marmalade - oranges, lemons and kiwi pulp (+sugar of course?) It may not be sufficiently unlike jam for you to bother but if you want proportions and method I can supply.

If you want something less sweet - I have a kiwi chutney recipe you can have?
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi Flummery - the chutney recipe sounds like a good place to start, many thanks in advance.
          TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Kiwi Chutney

12 Kiwis, peeled and cut up
            1 large banana, peeled and cut up
            1 small cup sultanas or raisins (or cranberries if you want to be very exotic)
            A couple of chunks of preserved ginger finely chopped - you can get little jars of it - I usually add a bit to rhubarb crumble - but I digest!
            Couple teaspoons salt
            3 medium sized onions, finely chopped
            2 lemons, peeled and cut into chunks
            1 teasp ground ginger
            1 large cup brown sugar
            half teasp pepper
            1 large cup vinegar (of your choice - I usually prefer the malt. I like it pickly.)

Put all into large pan. The vineagar should just cover it - add a little more if it doesn't.
            Simmer very gently for about 90 minutes.
            Mash with a spud masher - this is a smooth chutney - great with a curry.
            Pot, seal, lable etc. Keep for a few weeks before eating. (Recipes always say that!)

Based on a recipe from Mrs Beeton, bless her. I LOVE chutney and happily chutnify anything.

Comment

Thanks Flummery, that looks just great, let you know how it turns out in a day or two.
              TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Flummery, made the chutney yesterday and it looks just brilliant, the kiwis which were a bit under-ripe have kept their colour so with all the other ingredients, looks just spiffy.

I'll let you know how it tastes in a month or so - may be good to open with the pickled cabbage and shallots at Xmas.

Thanks again.
                TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Just made some of the kiwi chutney Flummery. The house is now filled with it's wondeful aroma and we're looking forward to trying it.

Phil
                  Live each day as if it was your last because one day it will be

Comment

Glad you both like it. I suppose if it originated with Mrs Beeton it's now "traditional"!

Comment

Kept right on the recipe with the exception of the vinegar - here we get a bewildering array of different vinegars, all sorts of alcoholic strengths so went for an 8% rose type - seems to have worked a treat!
                      TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Cor - you could drink 'em!

Comment

A quickie.....

Can i just squeeze in a bit here and ask when is the best time to pick the fruits, i have a very large plant with lots of fruit available to me, last year i was eating the fruits about now, however this year they are still very firm, i can cut into them with a knife but the 'core' is very hard and sour.

I would like to make jam (have searched recipies on this site already) when is the best time to get the fruits..?

Yours hopfully...
                          Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

I'd pick them now Seasprout, down here it's a major industry and now is harvest time. If you have a glut, put them in a cardboard box somewhere dark/not too warm and they will keep for weeks.

If you use them under ripe for jam or chutney, drop them in a food processor after you've peeled them, only a quick blitz to break the cores down a bit, that has worked well for me and under ripe they keep their colour better when processed.

And go for prepared weights rather than entire, you'd be surprised how much loss there is on a kiwi by the time you've topped and tailed them and taken their fur coats off. Also, if they're on the small side and you make chutney, use 15, works just as well.
                            TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

jammy

cheers tony, I will make a start when this monsoon stops.
                              Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X