Oven dried tomatoes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrdinkle View Post
    If I do dry them, how long will they keep (in sterilised jars with olive oil?)
    I think they will keep for a while but you can also freeze them. There is a useful link about <<<HERE>>>

I was actually planning to sun dry mine but the storms have come so it looks like the oven it is - if, that is the electricity stays on for long enough
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Thanks for the link scarey.

I have been trying to convince the missus that we require a chest freezer, it's like the krypton factor trying to get stuff in our upright!
      Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
        and almost two years later - here's one I prepared earlier

Wash, pad dry and half the cocktail tomatoes. Of course you can also use regular tomatoes, just slice them in quarters (or sixth). Some recipes recommend to discard the seeds, but I don't see the need to (at least with the smaller tomatoes).

Cover baking sheet or casserole with olive oil and arrange tomatoes cut-side up. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and if you like to, with garlic, dried and/or fresh herbs (like thyme, oregano...).

Dry in the preheated oven at 100 degrees Celsius (210 degrees F) for 4-6 hours. Times and temperature may vary (as indicated) based on your oven, the size of the tomatoes and of course your preference. Just try and find out what works best for you.

Kept in a jar with olive oil they last for days (if not weeks).
        Would this work with peppers too?

I've got a load of mini red peppers ripened and although they are, allegedly, sweet peppers they are incredibly bitter when eaten raw but lovely when cooked (I grilled some with goats cheese and thyme... yummy!). I'm wondering whether oven drying them would make them sweeter and help with storing them?!
        http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X