Snadgers clamp!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
    Talking of clamps - I heard of a farmer near Southport, who uses "clamps" to store his tatties over the winter if his customers don't want them - works a treat by the account I've heard. Perhaps us lottie owners ought to take note? Bernie aka DDL
    Just harvested some more Desiree's today Bernie for the Sunday dinner tomorrow! They are still looking good!
    Clamps arer much better than paper sacks as the moisture eventually gets through and stops the spuds from drying out. Because they're enclosed in straw tho, it drains away quickly!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I remember my Dad also used to build a clamp to store the potatoes overwinter. He grew enough to keep a family of 7 kids fed, and they'd last well into the spring. He grew loads of stuff, and we were all expected to help with planting and harvesting. I didn't think much of it then, but it's stood me in good stead through the years, and obviously didn't put me off 'grow your own'. He did have a lot more space though!
      I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
      Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Snadger, since this thread has been woken up, - I'd like an update please
        Did you move up to a full size wardrobe?
        Do you still have the clamps?
        What was your verdict ?

Comment

^^^ did you wake this thread up then VC or was it something (even more) mysterious?
          sigpic
          1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Don't be silly, Baldy, I can't wake anything up, so it was someone even more mysterious ..............

It was..........................Bren http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ighlight=clamp

I am however, intrigued by the thought of a wardrobe that looks like Snadger

Comment

I went to Newcastle (once) - really, anything is possible there...
              sigpic
              1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Snadger, since this thread has been woken up, - I'd like an update please
                Did you move up to a full size wardrobe?
                Do you still have the clamps?
                What was your verdict ?
                Me to I'd also like to know how you went on and if you're still using clamps.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

The answer is NO I aint using clamps now since i built my Summerhouse. The tatties keep fine in there, stored in thick cardboard boxes.

If I didn't have storage facilities I would certainly use a clamp again. I think the following year after that I ditched the wardrobe. I plied straw on a dry section of the plot (near to a tree who's roots dried the soil out), put tatties on top,covered with more straw, dug a trench around clamp to act as a drain and piled the soil on top leaving a wisp of straw out the top. Had good results with this as well!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X