sunflower seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sunflower seeds

I'd like to grow & use my own sunflower seeds. We like eating them and they're ideal for the kids to snack on. I want to use them in fruit/seed/nut mixes for the kids or to make muslei bars etc, BUT how do you get them out of their little shells, other than spending hours by hand with hardly anything to show for it at the end. There must be a knack to it (like skinning toms) but I'm blowed if I know anyone who knows. Help please before I give up.

Have no idea, but OH brought a load home yesterday. I'm going to try roasting them - i do this with pumpkin seeds, husks become brittle and kind of flake off! Hopfully shall work with others...
    Goodluck

Comment

Agree with Mrs Potato Head, although I've never tried it. I would have that lightly roasting would make the shells dry and brittle and easier to remove. My daughter's conure (little parrot) is really good at removing the husks, but he eats the seeds - maybe needs training to leave them for us?? Any ideas on how to train a conure??

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
        Any ideas on how to train a conure??
        he is trained ... as an attack bird
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by stigoftheplot View Post
          how do you get them out of their little shells,
          I tried last year, just got sore and blackened fingernails. You have to let the seedheads REALLY dry out then rub out the seeds. Or, have a look at this link:
          http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_.../oilpress.html
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks, the miller on the link looks a little out of my reach so I may try the roast & rub method.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X