Newbie help with preserving

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
    I do agree Scarlet. The jars and lids must be sterilized. I put the jars in the oven and boil the lids. Use the jars as soon as they are just cool enough not to crack and the lids straight from the boiling water.
    I boiled the jars and lids for 10-15 minutes making sure the water covered them

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
      I make am Jam the others describe. I am currently finishing up jam 2yrs + old and I’m still here. Beetroot, cook the beetroot slice if they are large pack into jars, pour over hot spiced vinegar seal with vinegar proof lids. If you haven’t got these cover with jam skins begore you put the lid on. Keep for several months before eating.

You need to protect metal lids from vinegar fumes as they will eat through the metal. You can use ordinary vinegar and add your own spices, I find that the S****sons spiced vinegar too strong. So long the vinegar is 6% your pickles will keep.
      Oh b*****, I only have a couple of kilners with the 2 piece metal tops. I shall have to look for alternatives for the pickling
      Last edited by veggiechicken; 23-07-2019, 03:44 PM. Reason: making it politer

Comment

Originally posted by Morphious View Post
        Thanks all, roughly how long will jam keep once in the jars?
        I have happily eaten homemade jam 5 years after it was made. The colour had changed a bit, but the lid was good and solid. Much easier to check these days now that jam jar lids are 'clickable'
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

So why do kilner recommend processing using a water bath for Jams. Just to confuse us brits? Haha

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            Everyone has their favourites
            My favourite book is a small paperback, no photos, just recipes for jams, jellies, marmalade's, pickled foods,chutneys and curds. I love it.....mine is a bit more expensive than VCs at 7.99. But simple easy recipes

Basic basics Jams preserves and Chutneys by Marguerite Patten
            https://www.amazon.co.uk/Basics-Pres...gateway&sr=8-1
            Yours is only £2 or so if you buy a used copy!

Comment

I find it easier to sterilise them in the oven (100C) as surely you need to dry ones which have come out of boiling water...would that not open up a small chance of contamination ?????

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                I have happily eaten homemade jam 5 years after it was made. The colour had changed a bit, but the lid was good and solid. Much easier to check these days now that jam jar lids are 'clickable'
                Same here! The jam shrinks a bit and darkens, otherwise tastes fine!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                  I find it easier to sterilise them in the oven (100C) as surely you need to dry ones which have come out of boiling water...would that not open up a small chance of contamination ?????
                  They are usually hot and dry out of the dishwasher?....they come straight out of the washer and then on a rack upside down into my Aga which is on 24/7

Comment

What would be the best jars to purchase going forward. I notice Lakeland do x12 white twist off but not if they have the safety button although they do have a rubber lining on the inside

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      Yours is only £2 or so if you buy a used copy!
                      I was ripped off!!
                      But I really have used that book. It's brilliant. It's got butters and curds in it too which are a little different.

Comment

Originally posted by Morphious View Post
                        What would be the best jars to purchase going forward. I notice Lakeland do x12 white twist off but not if they have the safety button although they do have a rubber lining on the inside
                        They will probably be fine.
                        I often use everyone's cast off jam jars ( anything really except pickle jars as the vinegar smell doesn't go)
                        eB@y May be cheaper?
                        Last edited by Scarlet; 23-07-2019, 07:37 PM.

Comment

I use secondhand jars too. Lots of friends and relatives save them for me. At this time of year I generally have a cupboard full. I always check them, clean them and soak the old labels off before they go in the cupboard as there is nothing worse than wanting to make jam and having to start soaking jars first. I did get one complaint however. Someone wanted to know why they only got an average size jar of jam when they had given me big empty jars.

Comment

I buy second hand Too...but do try and source ones of a similar make/size if you can ...of a type you know for sure you can get hold of replacement lids!
                            Nothing more frustrating than having a box of odd sized jam jars with no lids

Comment

New lids for every jar for every use? That's they way I think I would be

Comment

I reuse old lids as long as they're not rusted. If in doubt put cling film over the jar before you screw on the lid.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X