Blackberry wine for beginners

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackberry wine for beginners

I have posted a thread regarding a mountain of fresh ripe Blackberry's i have locally .
    I was advised that one way to make use of these was by making wine making is something i have never done before and would like to give it a go any help guidance would be a great help
    I am a total novice so i would need as much information recipes equipment etc .
    If anyone can help wine making is something i have always fancied doing now seems as good a time as any with all the blackberry's available .

hi mate ,wine making is fairly simple

equip

a fv (fermentation vessel) or demi-john ,these can vary in size (2 may come in handy)
    a hydrometer (for measuring the "gravity" of the wine) to find out the abv
    an air lock for the fv
    a syphon to transfer the wine when it needs racking (finishes the 1st stage and bottling)
    a kettle or large saucepan
    bottles to put the wine into (6x 75 cl per 5 liters)
    cleaning solution (everything must be clean
    and a large plastic spoon

wilko and other brew shops / websites often do strarter kits
    https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk...arter_Kit.html

recipe makes 6 x 75 cl bottles worth

1.5 kg blackberries
    1.2 kg sugar
    1 tsp pectic acid
    1 tsp yeast
    5 grm red wine yeast

crush the berries gently in the bottom of the fv ,add the sugar then pour on 4.5 liters of boiling water ,allow to cool ,add pectic enzyme,check the sp,cover and leave for a day ,

stir in yeast and nuitrient,leave for a week then transfer to 2nd fv and top up to 5 liters with warmish (not boiling) water

rack off wine into 1st clean fv top up again to 5 ltiters,leave till clear,rack off once clear into bottles , leave for a year

gl any questions just ask ,cheers
    Last edited by the big lebowski; 14-08-2018, 12:16 AM.
    The Dude abides.

Comment

I think I'll join you this year Ivanhoe...

Comment

Hi Earthgirl
        I have already started to get the wine making gear together mt sister has some that she used years ago .
        I have now changed my moto from
        " Make Hay while the Sun Shines " to " Make Wine whilst the Fruit is ripe "
        looking forward to starting wine making cannot wait to taste it in a year or so's time .

Comment

Originally posted by Ivanhoe View Post
          Hi Earthgirl
          I have already started to get the wine making gear together mt sister has some that she used years ago .
          I have now changed my moto from
          " Make Hay while the Sun Shines " to " Make Wine whilst the Fruit is ripe "
          looking forward to starting wine making cannot wait to taste it in a year or so's time .
          Hows your wine going Ivanhoe, my first 6 pints is slowly bubbling in the fermenting bin!

Comment

Just got mine started as well Earthgirl Jen .
            Had a peek this morning bubbling nicly

Comment

I gave up home brewing, it was, nearly always, truly dreadful stuff !

Blackberry whisky was good though, and I don’t like whisky ��
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X