Elderflower alert folks!!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chillithyme View Post
    I made some elderflower cordial over the last few days for the first time, let's just say I need to have another go as it was not that strong, maybe pick the flowers first thing in the morning and not in the evening
    I’ve found that when I’ve picked them before they seem st there most fragrant in a morning my mum (who home brews much more then me) said it’s because the bees have had less time to take it! I’m not convinced she wasn’t pulling my leg tho!

Comment

Ours are only just coming out here, so I will be grabbing a few carrier bags and collect loads at the weekend I researched the times that they are best picked for best flavour, and some said first thing in the morning, and some said when it's sunny and warm. I've not noticed a huge difference in flavour, but then I really do pack the flowers in to the water, way more than recipes state
      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Quick question to those who make cordial.
        How long does it keep? Can you freeze it?
        I always make champagne but have never made cordial,thought I'd give it a go this year
        Cheers

Comment

There are many different subspecies of elder in the U.K. some say as many as 14. Some smell like the most exquisite perfume while others smell like cat pee. The smell does not change with age. Smell the flowers from each tree because one cat pee bunch will spoil the whole batch of wine. I normally come back from collecting with a green and yellow nose and the occasional sneeze. It is worth it to produc3 the queen of country wines.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Stan79 View Post
            Cooler overnight temperature should increase sugar content. Later in the day the sugar is turned to carbohydrate... i think!
            The best time to collect is on a warm sunny day (if you can find one) best container is a paper bag which stops the sweating in a plastic bag. Someone I know doesn’t pick the heads but instead shakes the flowers into his paper bag. The flowers do have to be almost ready to drop but still have the fragrance.

David

Comment

Originally posted by mrswadders View Post
              I always make champagne but have never made cordial,thought I'd give it a go this year
              Cheers
              I'm tempted too!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have never frozen cordial. If the bottles are sterilized well, I have used cordial up to a year old.

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
                  I have never frozen cordial. If the bottles are sterilized well, I have used cordial up to a year old.
                  Cheers! Sounds good to me,I've more room in the larder! (We'll hopefully if all the veggies produce bumper crops this year!)

Comment

Originally posted by chillithyme View Post
                    I made some elderflower cordial over the last few days for the first time, let's just say I need to have another go as it was not that strong, maybe pick the flowers first thing in the morning and not in the evening
                    Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
                    Ours are only just coming out here, so I will be grabbing a few carrier bags and collect loads at the weekend I researched the times that they are best picked for best flavour, and some said first thing in the morning, and some said when it's sunny and warm. I've not noticed a huge difference in flavour, but then I really do pack the flowers in to the water, way more than recipes state
                    I do that Sarriss, I use way more flower heads than the recipe says, leave them for more than 24 hours and squeeze the bloomin' life out of them when bottling

Originally posted by mrswadders View Post
                    Cheers
                    I always put mine in the freezer in small plastic bottles and it works well. It never actually freezes because of the sugar content. Think Slushy texture. Lasts for ages that way.
                    Last edited by scarey55; 01-06-2018, 11:20 AM.
                    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

What recipe do you use/recommend?????
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I use this one:

https://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/recipe/elderflower-cordial/
                        by Sophie Grigson. It usually works well for me. Having said that, I tend to use more flowerheads (30ish) and a bit less sugar (1.5kg)

Comment

Five gallons now on the go put the yeast in last night and today and it’s fermenting like mad. I hope the ferment isn’t too fast because that takes away some of the bouquet. I make it for my wife but she drinks very little of it. As soon as our friends find out about it the levels tend to drop. Can’t blame them, it is the best of the country wines.

David

Comment

Ours aren't out yet. I've never made anything with the flowers (Dad's elderberry wine was legendary, and as I child I lived on Mum's elderberry and apple jelly) but I fancy having a go at cordial...

Would need to buy citric acid, though. (Where from?) And Muslin. Or a J cloth. Hmmm.

Comment

I don't think you have to use citric acid, some recipes use extra lemon juice but I like the "bite" that citric acid gives. I think you should be able to get it in Boots or somewhere like that. It isn't very easy to come by here so I bought 500g form Am@zon.

As for a muslin, I bought a baby muslin from a supermarket which seems to do the trick although, I have used an old T-shirt too

Comment

Home brew shops should have everything you need, if you have one of those locally. Or online
                                My champagne has been going since Saturday, and no sign of fermentation. I will need to add yeast I think

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X