Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fallen Apples?

Hey all!

I'm new to the forum, and new to the country. I was out having a lovely walk through a forest the other day, and stumbled upon a very large windfall of small 2-3in apples. I was wondering three things (please do be honest with me! I don't want to step on toes here)

1. If these apples are just sitting there (now in January) can I gather some of them up? I know in California we have some free fruit etiquette which is generally if it is fallen on public places go for it.

2. Are these apples safe to eat if they have been on the ground for a long time? Some of them have been eaten by insects/animals, but many are completely unblemished, or just have a couple spots. Could I cut the spots out and still use them? I don't want to poison the family.

3. And lastly, could I make cider with these apples?!

Excited about the possibility.

Hi farmerjon and welcome to the vine. For the legalities check the theft act 1968, but basically it's fine to pick up windfalls, pick blackberries, sloes, wild garlic etc. The main things are that it's for personal use not commercial, & that you obey any bye - laws put in place by landowners or local authorities (there should be signs in place if this is the case). Usual thing about leaving some of what you're collecting behind & not digging up whole plants.

As to whether the apples will be ok, I should think so (someone else will be along in a bit to confirm /refute this) If they're crab apples or seedlings taste on first - often quite/very bitter, but good for cooking/jam making.

Bit of a change from California I should think?
    Last edited by happyhumph; 17-01-2017, 08:02 PM. Reason: spelling, & this doesn't constitute legal advice! !
    Another happy Nutter...

Comment

You could make wine with them

Comment

Thanks for the input. I didn't end up going and collecting the fallen apples, but I am glad to know that it is acceptable to forage in a decent and respectful way. Really looking forward to spring and all that that brings. The wild garlic and blackberries especially!

Comment

You could have made apple jellies with them. I turn small windfalls and crab apple into apple and vanilla, or apple and cider or add a little vinegar to the jellies and use herbs, sage or rosemary, or mint, or bay, or thyme.

These make excellent accompaniments to roast meats or as a glaze for BBQ meats.

Welcome to the UK.

Comment

You'll have to wait a bit longer for the blackberries bit wild garlic is amazing - just don't ever be tempted to plant it in your garden/lottie - it's rampant & will take over!

Mmmm - wild garlic pesto, wild garlic flowers with gyozo, wild garlic soup.........
            Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Hi Jon and welcome. This thread may interest you http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...day_67434.html

Comment

Got loads of windfall apples but they are very sour this year...can these be used in chutney?
                sigpic

Comment

i went up the veggie patch today and popped down the orchard too ,picked to trugs of apples mashed them ,pressed them and got 7 liters of apple juice ,pleased with that
                  The Dude abides.

Comment

i went up the plot again yesterday and picked a trug of pears and a trug of apples ,going to blend them togeter and try to make a gallon of cider
                    The Dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by the big lebowski View Post
                      i went up the veggie patch today and popped down the orchard too ,picked to trugs of apples mashed them ,pressed them and got 7 liters of apple juice ,pleased with that
                      Are you using a press or a juicer?

I have neither, so looking to make wine. Off to the attic to make sure all the chemicals are there 9 to get started at least)
                      Last edited by 4Shoes; 26-08-2018, 03:20 PM.

Comment

hi i use this ,https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/kuko...SABEgKzwvD_BwE

works really well
                        Last edited by the big lebowski; 26-08-2018, 05:23 PM.
                        The Dude abides.

Comment

Ok, so you crush them and then press them. I've got discovery apples by the bucket load at the door.

the juice is really sweet, so should look into this type of device once I get the chest freezer for long term storage.

Tonight I started the Apple Wine -
                          4kg of apples,
                          4.5l of Water
                          900g sugar
                          1 tbs Lemon juice
                          1tsp Yeast Nutrient
                          1/4 tsp Tannin
                          1 Campden Tablet
                          1/2 Pectin enzyme
                          1 pkt Wine Yeast

Peal and chop apples, remove seeds.
                          Boil half the water and then dissolve the sugar and pour over apples on bucket
                          Mic in Tannin. Yeast Nutrient and Lemon Juice - Stir Well
                          Wait 3 hrs, then add crushed Camden tablet - Stir Well
                          Wait 12 hrs, add Pectin Stir well
                          Wait 24 hrs, add yeast - stir well
                          Stir daily for a week.
                          Strain into new bucket
                          24 hrs, syphon into Demijohn
                          air lock and wait
                          2 month, rack
                          Condition for 4 months, then bottle

Also found wine kits in Attic, past BBE dates, so mixed both into large fermenter, shorted the water and sent it on its way. Should give a fuller bodied wine and slightly stronger. Only time will tell.

Comment

i went up the plot again yesterday and picked a trug of pears and a trug of apples ,going to blend them togeter and try to make a gallon of cider

Just over a year apart running like clockwork!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              Just over a year apart running like clockwork!!
                              A year..................or a week.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X