og and sg

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• og and sg

hi all ,i have been homebrewing for about 2 years but i have never really botherd with og and sg ,i`ve been reading a few hombrew books after a few batches which which a had mixed feelings about i`ve decided to do pull my finger out and do it all by the book so my question is do i take a reading before i put the yeast in ? any advice welcome,cheers
    The Dude abides.

I tend to forget to take the og until after I've stirred in any 'additives' necessary (pectolase/amalyse/citric acid/yeast nutrient/yeast); but I guess you should do it immediately before. As the yeast takes 12 hours or so to get going, you're not going to notice the difference in the og reading either way, I wouldn't have thought.

Comment

thanks hazel, so it doesnt mater if i take the reading before or after the yeast goes in just as long as i take a reading at the beginning ? cheers
      The Dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by the big lebowski View Post
        thanks hazel, so it doesnt mater if i take the reading before or after the yeast goes in just as long as i take a reading at the beginning ? cheers
        Yep - spot on.

The sg will only change as the yeast starts to convert the sugar to alcohol, and it takes some hours for the yeast to (noticably) multiply and start the process.

Comment

that`s great thanks
          The Dude abides.

Comment

Until the yeast starts to work and munch the sugar it will not make a great deal of difference.
            I find it useful to have an idea of how it is turning out.
            Really I find it a simple way to know why it has stopped, eaten all the sugar so low reading or started with too much sugar so then the alcohol has stopped the yeast going further.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X