Fruit flies

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit flies

I have my fruit doing it's initial ferment in a bucket covered loosely with tea towels but I have just noticed that fruit flies have got in and were sitting on the fruit surface. It's only got a day or so til it goes into a demijohn, can I still carry on and use it or is it spoilt now? Thanks for any advice...

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Put it through a sieve and into a DJ now and don't wait.
    Not sure how problematic fruit flies are mainly as I seem to have not had a problem, although I cover a bucket exactly the same as you describe.

Comment

Thanks Kirk, I sieved it into a demijohn late last night! It seems fine, I have looked really closely and can't see any eggs or anything. Thanks for your response.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Don't fruit flies carry acetobacter bacteria on their feet? That can multiply and turn the wine into vinegar? Don't make wine, so don't know how you deal with that.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

No specific idea but the modern yeasts are often referred to a killer yeasts - they are so damn active they kill off other bacteria before the bad ones can do anything. Can be a bit explosive when you stir them however, more then once I have panicked when at the first stir I see a mass of foam heading to the top of a bucket.

Throw in that alcohol will oxidise to vinegar: C2H5OH (Ethenol) + O = C2H5COOH (Acetic acid) and you will get a percentage anyway.

My view was simple: Either throw the lot away or get the fruit and whatever off and get it into a DJ and see what the result is. As storing a DJ for 3-4 months is no great problem it made sense to get it into one and see what results.

I would say that there is so many possibilities of wild yeasts, bugs and bacteria in the fruit that you cannot account for everything all the time.

Comment

If you can make good wine from fruit pressed by walking on it in bare feet, I'd have thought a few fruit flies would be no problem whatsoever!
            The proof of the growing is in the eating.
            Leave Rotten Fruit.
            Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
            Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
            Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

Picky ...

Kirk, I think you meant

C2H5OH (Ethanol)+ O2 → CH3COOH (Acetic Acid) + H2O

My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
              Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X