Ceramic demijohns?!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramic demijohns?!

I've seen some old ceramic demijohns on eBay nearby. A potential bargain! Has anyone used them before? Will they be suitable for any type of wine? I'll try and add a pic if I can...

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Be careful some of the old glazes contain lead.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Should be OK to ferment in but racking the wine will be a bit of a problem.

Comment

Do post a photo as it will make a difference whether the demijohns are salt glazed or lead glazed so a close up photo would be useful.
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

If they are cream and brown they are salt glazed and they will be fine
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I have vague recollections of my Grandmother giving me one of those cream and brown jars filled with hot water for a hot water bottle on a sleep over - it was horrible!

Comment

One of the problems will be that you cant see the contents, that makes thing harder but not impossible. another thing is getting them clean inside when you cant easily see.
              photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X