No announcement yet.

No airlock bubble and fizzing like mad?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No airlock bubble and fizzing like mad?

For my 2nd wine brew I decided to recycle the 5L PET water bottle and so drilled a hole in the cap big enough to insert a rubber bung and airlock and it's making some loud ol' fizzing noises and has sucked in a little of the bottle at the side but there is nothing going on in the bubble airlock. Is the gas getting out somewhere?
    Follow my garden and chilli growing project... @impatientgrower

Sounds like it. Bung it in a bath full of water and look for the leak(s) most likely where the bung is
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

I just found another bubbler airlock and replaced it plus the bung and it's bubbling away. I'm thinking the airlock must have cracked. I'll stick it in some water tomorrow just to check.

Thanks for the reply.
      Follow my garden and chilli growing project... @impatientgrower

Comment

Originally posted by Naga View Post
        Is the gas getting out somewhere?
        The PET plastic bottles don't often bubble the airlock: the gas escapes through the somewhat porous plastic. It doesn't mean you have a leak, just that plastic is more porous than glass (demijohns).
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

PETs should have a 14mm hole drilled and smoothed off in the cap and a rubber grommet fitted, slightly grease grommet and air lock stem with Vaseline before fitting separately.
          Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X