questions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions

Hi all, ive done a quick search but cant find the answers so apologies if im repeating other questions.im getting confused with different ingredients. Is yeast compound the same as wine yeast? And what is yeast nutrient? Im trying to order some stuff but its not always got the same names!

Someone told me they use bread yeast in their wine and it tastes very good!

Do you have a wilko or tesco near you? They both have brewing stuff.

Comment

At the moment, i am having to rely on the internet!

Comment

yeast nutrient has all the active ingredients that yeast needs to get going for a strong fermentation. It is particularly high in the B minerals, especially B1. Marmite is a good substitute for shop bought yeast nutrient, and it does not flavour the wine . . .

Comment

You could try giving these guys a call.

They're local to me and really helpful!

You can order from their website too if you want to, I bought from them recently even though they were a little more expensive than a chain store as they were so helpful!

Home brewing and wine making suppliers based in Colchester, Essex
          Last edited by vikkib; 13-08-2013, 01:41 PM.
          http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Originally posted by raine View Post
            At the moment, i am having to rely on the internet!
            This is my local brewshop, lovely man. Sylken Home Brew

These are his yeasts

Bread yeast won't give you a very strong wine, and it needs to be at least 10% to keep, as far as I'm aware.

pectolase etc:
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 14-08-2013, 08:21 AM.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I bought pectolase, nutrient, yeast and tartaric acid (plus some bits of kit) from Lloyds chemist, if you have one of those nearby?
              Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

Is yeast compound the same as wine yeast?
                I'm guessing you've seen tubs of "Youngs Yeast Compound" on the internet. I *believe* yeast compound is yeast plus nutrient, but don't quote me on it. I've used the Youngs compound, but always add nutrient anyway.

And what is yeast nutrient?
                It's an energy boost for the little yeasties!
                http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by MrsCordial View Post
                  I bought pectolase, nutrient, yeast and tartaric acid (plus some bits of kit) from Lloyds chemist, if you have one of those nearby?
                  That is VERY handy to know!
                  I'm in South London - there is only one homebrew shop in south London, which seems poorly stocked, not very inviting, overpriced etc, and another one about half hour drive out towards East Grinstead, and not much parking near to the shop. I have 4 Wilkinson's in town centres, all about 25-40 minutes from here, and they often don't have pectolase etc. But there's a Lloyds just down the road so might give that a try!
                  http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Oh good! They had loads of things - kits for beer and wine and all sorts of things I haven't graduated to yet. The only thing I wanted but couldn't find was a hydrometer. I'll be back in on Monday for more airlocks, for batches three and four of wine
                    Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

Yeast compound was yeast and nutrient together.
                      Use a wine yeast, they are developed for wine hence their name, bread yeast is for bread. Bread yeast will not give a solid deposit so if moved it will get distrubed and the deposit starts to float around the wine again. Makes getting it clear a pain.

Yeast nurient: Adds food for the yeast, most useful in light wines something like a fruit wine made with a fair amount of fruit will have enough food in the mix for yeast to do it's job without any. If you made mead then you need a nutrient, there is not much in honey. Also needed if making a flower wine - rose petal, dandilion, elderflower etc.

Tannin: can be added if a red wine then most likey enough in it, fair bit comes from pips etc so blackbery pips, raspberry pips and elderberry pips add a fair bit themselves, even apple pips do.

Acid: Bit like nutrient you need it to get a nicely balanced start point. Buy citric acid or half or a whole lemon. If making rhubarb, orange and other citrus wines forget any acid they have enough and in the case of rhubarb possibly too much.

Yeast: Standard is Youngs Wine Yeast. Will ferment to about 18% alcohol. Companies like Gervins do a range of specific yeasts. Gervins yeast can be fun. They look as if nothing is happening (DEAD) if you stir them then you get half a bucket of foam. Avoid the temptation of high alcohol yeasts.

Pectolase: A pectin destroyer. Throw in if the fruit is rich in pectin - apple, plum ?? This is one that is worth throwing in no matter what.

As best I have experienced adding nutrient and pectolase does no harm. Adding acid will make the start more acidic but 1 teaspoon in a gallon cannot make much difference. Slightly under ripe fruit will add as much.

Tannin is the questionable one. If that is too high then wine needs longer to mature and lose the metallic tang that is associated with high tannin.

I made wines with only water, fruit, sugar and yeast only for many years, with no problems so don't get hung up on these extra bits. Consider them necessary in the more "extreme" recipes like mead or flower wines where something will obviously be missing. Something like apple wine will have everying thing in the apple that you realistically need - just add pectolase for the pectin present.

Comment

Youngs yeast compound has yeast, nutrient and Bentonite (a montmorilionite clay used as a fining agent)
                        Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

larger branches of tesco (tesco extra) stock a limited quantity of homebrew kits and bits,lots of online suppliers too,even fleabays worth a look for things like sterilizer which is a lot cheaper in larger tubs.
                          don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                          remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Thanks for all the replies- im a bit clearer noe- i think!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X