Elderflower Champage Problems

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderflower Champage Problems

I know this is meant to be a very easy wine to do but for some reason it just isn't turning out right for me. this year will be third time lucky so any advice in where ji may have gone wrong with the last two years let me know - thanks in advance.

First year, nice and fizzy like i was expecting, reasonable flavour but very little alcohol content about 2%.
    Second year alcohol content about 8% but very gloopy almost like a thick undiluted cordial and again the taste was ok but didn't taste anything like what you can get in the shops.

Hopefully someone can guess what i may have done wrong and possibly suggest a "fool" proof recipe.

Cheers

It might help if you told us what recipes and methods you used. Hard to say what you did wrong if we don't know exactly what you did

Comment

Hi, yeh i suppose the recipe would help! silly me.

for the first year i can't remember what recipe i used but the second year i followed ch4 Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstalls recipe which uses the following ingredients

4 litres hot water.
      700g sugar.
      Juice and zest of four lemons.
      2 tablespoons white wine vinegar.
      About 15 elderflower heads, in full bloom.
      A pinch of dried yeast (you may not need this).

method with this link - Elderflower champagne recipe - Channel4 - 4Food

Hope this helps

Comment

Boiling hot water kills the natural yeast, so for me I tend to use the cold water method.
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by Mark the Bodger View Post
          Second year alcohol content about 8% but very gloopy almost like a thick undiluted cordial and again the taste was ok but didn't taste anything like what you can get in the shops.
          Did you remember to add the extra cold water which is mentioned in the body of the recipe? I can't think of any other reason why it would be thick and gloopy. Also, did you add yeast? I always do, as you can't rely on the wild yeast to perform well.

Comment

Pretty sure i added the yeast, but as for the cold water, can't honestly remember.

Thank you for your reply's, i'll give it a go again this year and write down what i did so if it goes wrong i can find out where it might have been.

Thanks again

Comment

Mark, may I suggest not using vinegar, instead take 1lt white grape juice or 1 220ml bottle of white grape concentrate (wilkos) 1lt clear apple juice, 700g sugar, 1tsp yeast nutrient(homehardware), 5g Champagne yeast(EC1118 homehardware), 1tsp tartaric acid, 6 large heads of elderflower(flowers only) combine in a bucket with water to 1 gallon, cover with a towel and stir daily for 5 days, strain into a DJ and ffit airlock, ferment until it begins to clear, siphon off sediment and add 50g sugar mix to dissolve and pour into 500ml pop bottles, store cool for 6-8 weeks, chill very well before pouring in one go into a chilled jug, serve with a slice of lemon, possibly over ice?.....
              With appologies, I just posted this in another thread, the thick gloopy wine was probably infected with a malolactic bacteria that can be cured with 2 campden tablets per gallon and a good whisking.
              PS, beware of recipes from food sites................. better to look here..........
              Home Wine and Beer Making Forum - Index
              You can ask anything brewing/winemaking related and someone will be able to help you with whatever you want to know.
              Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Thanks for your advice ohbeary,

Wish i had looked at the forum a bit sooner than now.... just finished a batch of elderflower champagne with the Hugh FW recipe. Other than leaving it to ferment an exra day (against what the recipe said to do) the champagne looks ok, its lost its fizz, so its just wine now, I think that was the extra day, it was fizzing nicely until then. However, I have tried the wine and first mouthul or two tastes ok, but then you realise its not brilliant and tastes like it needs something else.

Looking at your suggested recipe its seems that it is a more balanced recipe.
                just a couple of questions from a very amature homebrewer.
                - Is 5 heads enough to taste the elderflower or would it taste just the same without?
                - Where cand you get tartaric acid from or is it and internet thing?

Cheers

Comment

Mark, 5 heads is enough, trust me, Tartaric acid is from your local Home Hardware or Homebrew shop or online from Shop4homebrew - Homebrew supplies delivered to your door
                  PS this a good place for advice, not 24hr but early morning and late evening are good for quick replies.. Home Wine and Beer Making Forum - General Category
                  Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

thanks for the reply, I have had a very quick scan on the website suggested and it has now gone on my favourite links - thanks again, Mark

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X