Some Spanish recipes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Spanish recipes

I am enjoying learning your food and drink recipes and I want to share Spanish recipes with you all as well.

Anís

You need:
    - 30 grams of green anís seed (Pimpinella anisum, NOT Anise).
    - 15 grams of coriander seed.
    - A pinch of cinnamon.
    - A pinch of mace.
    - Sugar syrup.
    - 1 quart of whatever spirits you wish (suggestions include vodka, gin, light rum) into a 2 liters wide-mouth jar.

Instructions:
    - Add anise and coriander seeds into the jar. Note: if you are using a spirit of pure alcohol (190 proof) is used, it should be diluted with water.
    - Add one pinch of cinnamon.
    - Add one pinch of mace.
    - Close jar and set in dark cool spot like the bottom of a closet or under a bed for a month to 6 weeks.
    - Filter the solution using a cheese cloth or coffee filter.
    - Add sugar syrup to taste. You may make your own simple syrup by boiling equal parts sugar and water & skimming of impurities that arise or purchase from your favorite liquor store. Sweetening syrups like those used to flavor and sweeten coffees may also be used.

Anís seeds, Pimpinella anisum

- Anís contains important essences in regard to the therapeutic aspect such as anethole and methyl chavicol, therefore anise seeds stimulate the whole body, activating their secretions, tone the heart, protect against infection, regularize the menstrual cycle and activate the functions of neurons.

- It is an ally of the digestive system, as it has an aperitif, digestive and tonic action on the stomach. In addition, combat flatulence and intestinal putrefaction.

- It is also used to relieve asthma, coughs, hiccups and bronchial mucus release. In this regard, it has been observed in these studies that those who want to quit smoking, the anís acts as an antidote to nicotine and tars of snuff.

- For women, the anise has dual beneficial role, as it helps to regulate the menstrual cycle and can also be used to increase milk production in lactating women. Anís, to be removed with the milk, baby favors that aids digestion and prevents the painful presence of intestinal gas.

Home Remedies

Remedy # 1: To stimulate digestive functions, you can make a tea with one (1) teaspoon of seeds per cup of water. You should take one cup a day. Similarly, you can marinate for 6 weeks to have a drink after dinner.

Remedy # 2: In case of flatulence, prepare as an infusion, one chopped tablespoon of anís seeds in a cup of hot water.

Remedy # 3: To increase the urine and combat headaches, chop 8 grams of anís per litre of boiling water. Take 4 cups a day.

Remedy # 4: To combat the hiccups, take a pinch of chopped anís seeds with just a sip of water.

Precautions!!!

Not recommended for excessive or long periods, as it can be toxic to disrupt the circulation and cause cerebral congestion.

I will keep posting recipes when I can.
    http://savinglives.ahar.ie/

Mistela wine

There are different versions of this recipe. This particular one is a recipe from Arriate, a small town in the province of Málaga (Andalucía).

You need:
    - 1 L of vodka
    - Water.
    - 500 gr. of sugar.
    And a infusion made with:
    - Peppermint.
    - Anís.
    - A cinnamon stick.
    - 2 cloves.
    - An orange.
    - A lemon.
    - Saffron.

Recipe:
    Placed a casserole with all the ingredients (except sugar). Boil it for thirty minutes. Then, turn the cooker off, add the vodka and 500 gr. sugar and stir with a wooden spoon. Leave it to cool.

Attached Files
    Last edited by spanish_gardener; 26-03-2013, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Thank you for these, SG - and for any more that you can let us have! I love to cook Spanish food, but it is one thing cooking from an (English) cookbook, and another having 'proper' recipes!

PS I made albondigas (meatballs) at the weekend, which were so so - there seems to be a lot of variation in ingredients when you look at recipes online - do you have a recipe that you prefer for those?

Comment

I live getting genuine recipes from different countries. I have a Pakistani buddy and she gave me a curry recipe a few months back, it's absolutely fantastic an I make it nearly every week now.

I've never tried much Spanish food but I'm certainly willing to give it a go.

Comment

I love getting genuine recipes from different countries. I have a Pakistani buddy and she gave me a curry recipe a few months back, it's absolutely fantastic an I make it nearly every week now.

Comment

Originally posted by Darwin. View Post
            I love getting genuine recipes from different countries. I have a Pakistani buddy and she gave me a curry recipe a few months back, it's absolutely fantastic an I make it nearly every week now.

can we have the recipe???? Pleaaaaaaaaaaassssseeeeee

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
              Thank you for these, SG - and for any more that you can let us have! I love to cook Spanish food, but it is one thing cooking from an (English) cookbook, and another having 'proper' recipes!

PS I made albondigas (meatballs) at the weekend, which were so so - there seems to be a lot of variation in ingredients when you look at recipes online - do you have a recipe that you prefer for those?
              There is a book called Tastes of the Pyrenees: Classic and Modern by Marina Chang. She is from New York, but she travelled along the Pyrenees collecting recipes from local people of Cataluña, Aragón, Navarra and the Basque country region. My favourite book is Life and Food in the Basque Country by María José Sevilla, because she lived with different families in several locations. She tells the story behind each recipe and I think it's fantastic book.

I stopped eating meat mainly because of health reasons, but my mother has cooked for us pigeon, common quail, horse, wild pig, snails,... My two favourite meatball recipes are Botana de Albóndigas and Albóndigas en almendras. The first one is an appetizer.

Botana de Albóndigas (Appetizer Meatballs)

Makes about 24 meatballs.

Ingredients:
              1 1/2 pounds ground beef
              1/2 small white onion, chopped
              1/4 cup bread crumbs
              1 large egg, beaten
              1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped
              1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
              1/2 spoon salt
              1/4 teaspoon ground pepper (or to taste)
              1/4 cup tomato sauce
              4 cups beef broth diluted with 1/2 cup of water
              Mexican sauce (3 large chopped tomatoes; 1/2 chopped onion; 2 chiles minced with seeds; 3 tablespoons of chopped cilantros; 2 tablespoon of lime juice -I use the Robinsons lemon squash- and a bit of salt; mix and let stand for about 15 minutes)

Recipe:
              - In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients together, except the tomato sauce and broth. Work the mixture together with your hands. Add just enough tomato sauce to hold the mixture together, making it moist but firm. For into small meatballs 11/2 inch in diameter.
              - In a saucepan, bring the broth to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the meatballs. Simmer about 25 minutes to completely cook meatballs. Remove the meatballs to a serving dish. Place a bowl of fresh salsa on the side. Serve with toothpicks.

Albóndigas en Salsa de Almendra (Meatballs in Almond Sauce)

Makes 36 small sized meatballs

Ingredients:
              1 large egg, lightly beaten
              1 large garlic clove, chopped
              1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
              1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
              1 teaspoon salt
              1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (or to taste)
              2 slices dry white bread, torn into pieces
              2 tablespoon milk or water
              1 1/4 pounds ground turkey meat
              2 tablespoons vegetable oil
              Almond sauce (8 plum tomatoes, 4 whole chillis, 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil, 2/3 cups of almonds, 1/2 medium white onion chopped, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup of water; preheat the oven to 450º, put the tomatoes on a foil lined baking pan, roast in the middle of the oven until the tomatoes are charred and soft but juicy, put them into a blender and reserve; in a medium skillet, over medium heat, toast the chillies and reserve; in the same skillet toast the almonds slowly and reserve; add the remaining teaspoon of oil to the skillet and cook the onion and the cumin seeds, scrape them into the blender jar with the tomatoes and add the toasted nuts; break the chillies into small pieces and add t the blender, add salt and water and blend until thick and smooth with the consistency of thick ketchup.

Recipe:
              - Prepare the almond sauce, then set it aside while making the meatballs. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the egg, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper (I like adding a pinch of cinnamon as well). Add the bread and the milk, mix well until the bread is mushy. Add the turkey and mix thoroughly. The mix will be sticky. Form into small meatballs about 1 inch in diameter. Reserve on a plate.
              - Preheat the oven to 350º. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and brown the meatballs, turning frequently, about 4 or 5 minutes. The meatballs will not be completely done. Transfer to an ovenproof casserole dish. Pour enough of the almond sauce over the meatball to barely cover. Save extra sauce for another use, it last up to 3 months in the freezer. Cover the casserole dish and put it in the over for about 25 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and the meatballs are cooked through.

Let me know if you give them a try.

Comment

This is brilliant, SG - I've printed these off and will try them out! Will be sure to post how I get on. Thank you!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X