Sloe wine 2001

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sloe wine 2001

I've been given a demijohn of Sloe wine 2001 Tastes OK but its very cloudy. I've run some through a coffee filter paper but it hasn't removed any sediment.
    Will it settle out or should I throw it away? I'm not a wine maker

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    I've been given a demijohn of Sloe wine 2001 Tastes OK but its very cloudy. I've run some through a coffee filter paper but it hasn't removed any sediment.
    Will it settle out or should I throw it away? I'm not a wine maker
    DO NOT THROW IT AWAY!!!! *attack of the vapours.

It will clear (when you stop shakin' it about! ) but it might take some time. I'd go for adding some sort of finings, wait a bit for it to clear, then syphon off (with a toob from Wilko) the lovely clear stuff from the yukky sediment - easy peasy.

More experienced grapes than I will suggest which finings to use - I'd go for some bentonite (of which I will gladly sent you a suitable portion), but that might not be the best thing.

Comment

OMG!!!!....do NOT chuck it!!!!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks Hazel My husband used to make lots of wine - there are still bottles of it in the garage - but I gave away most of the equipment.
        I've filtered a carafe of wine so I'll let that settle for a few days and see what happens.

Comment

I recently used a Wilkinsons clearing agent, comes in 2 parts. Basically add part A, stir, leave for an hour, add part B, stir, watch the murk drop out. Bit scary in a way as the stuff causing the cloudiness literally dropped out in front of my eyes, didn't take 5 days, more like 5 minutes.

Comment

Thanks Kirk. Do you remember what its called?

Comment

Pectolase.
              I have some
              If
              You want a small
              But VC?

Comment

Ignore the random spacing. Stupid Phil e

Comment

Phone. Grr!!

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                    Pectolase.
                    I have some
                    If
                    You want a small
                    But VC?
                    I'd love to have a small but Chris

Comment

Wilkinsons only do the one, it has their own name on it.
                      I forget there may not be one near everyone, there are 3 sort of circling me so I have a choice.
                      I was impressed by how well it cleared mine, cloudy apple, but it was also a bit of a shock. Normally expect a few days or more. Watching it drop out in front of your eyes is not what I expected.

Have another batch that I expect will require clearing, found a different approach to make it, so hope it works as well again.

If there is a home brew shop around they will have something, this one is a 2 part clearing agent.

Pectalose is for a pectin haze and I would not expect one in sloe wine, maybe the sloes were boiled/cooked as that tends to drag out pectin.

Comment

Probably this Kirk? Wilko Wine Finings A and B 65g at wilko.com
                        There is a Wilkos here, a few miles the other side of town. I'll get soon from there.

Comment

What happened to this wine in the end, VC? I love sloe wine, esp after it's aged for a few years. I never got mine to clear very well in the early days: did you get yours clear? What did it taste like?

So many questions

Comment

It tasted foul so I used it to clean the loo
                            I'm sure there's more ancient stuff in the garage.................

Comment

Oh no! How very disappointing! So aging doesn't nullify all brewing sins then? It's usually my answer to everything! (If bentonite hasn't worked...)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X