No announcement yet.

Help Please! Apple wine not clearing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it's a pectolase problem, CB, now I see the pics.

I'd go for the charcoal that Andy suggested - it'll be dramatic, if nothing else!

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
      I don't think it's a pectolase problem, CB, now I see the pics.
      No, me neither If only it were that simple! I'm deeply jealous of the the effect it had in your picture!

I may have to resort to the charcoal, although I fear stripping it of all its lovely mellow appleyness...
      Last edited by Closet Brewer; 11-01-2013, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Exciting news! (Ish...) So I racked it and put pectolase in like wot we said but nothing happened and I got bored so I tried more bentonite. Almost immediately a load of gunk precipitated out, it looked like an apple wine snow globe... Anyway, this white, fluffy precipitate settled out and, while it's not completely clear, it's much better than it was. Just a bit of a haze left I hope will respond to a further dose of fining.

That bentonite is amazing stuff, have you tried it on your quince wine, Hazel?

Comment

Excellent news, CB!

Originally posted by Closet Brewer View Post
          That bentonite is amazing stuff, have you tried it on your quince wine, Hazel?
          No I have not, but you can bet your bottom dollar that I'm going to do so now - thanks for the tip & will let you know how I get on.

Comment

Yeah, definitely let us know. I want to know whether bentonite really is the miracle cure-all that I currently believe it to be!

Comment

It's fantastic stuff. But in future use it in the primary right from the start. It will leave your wine crystal clear. Bonus is that it actually helps your ferment along, yeast likes it. But maybe keep it for whites and roses. It can strip colour and body from a red. Make up a slurry like you would gravy - sprinkle it a little at a time to a little boiling water and stir like crazy. Use a t spoon to mash and grind any lumps out. It can leave a fluffy sediment, that's why it's best to use in the primary so you don't lose too much wine in the final racking if you use it as a fining agent. Lose your wine just once in your first racking. Glad it worked out!

Comment

Right - now I can actually get the car out the garage, I'm off to the brew shop to get bentonite. And amylase - it's parsnip wine season!

Comment

Success!

So... 2 or 3 lots of bentonite later, and here's the result: Apple wine on the left, the same parsnip and apple as before on the right. You can see the apple is not quite as crystal clear as the other one, but it's not bad!

Tastes pretty good too. Mean hangover though...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Blimey - that's some result!

I have yet to tackle the quince wine - it has sat there looking murky for 18 months, it won't worry about waiting for a week longer!

Comment

What a lovely picture. All because of a little town in the US called Benton

Comment

Originally posted by redser View Post
                        What a lovely picture. All because of a little town in the US called Benton
                        Never knew that - or that (according to wiki) bentonite is a principle ingredient of cat litter

Live and learn, eh?

Comment

hmm, so would you be tempted to add a tsp of cat little to your next batch? Would be a damn sight cheaper than the small tubs

Comment

Recently made an apple wine that would not clear.
                            I bought a 2 part wine clearing pack from Wilkinsons (£1) and gave it a try.
                            Cleared the murky mix very quickly.
                            Found it best to mix the first part in a container with some of the wine then add to the bulk and stir.
                            Waited the required time then did similar with the second part.
                            The suspended whatever hit the bottom almost immediatly, 2 days later absolutely clear.
                            Not sure what it is but it worked.
                            Last edited by Kirk; 04-02-2013, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redser View Post
                              hmm, so would you be tempted to add a tsp of cat little to your next batch? Would be a damn sight cheaper than the small tubs
                              I don't like the idea of that, funnily enough!

Comment

Closet, leave no trace and never try to explain, produce and accept plaudits when due, low profile and good results will be your armour against ignorance and predjudice.
                                Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X