Gloopy parsnip wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloopy parsnip wine

Hi, I'm new to winemaking - we've made a batch of rhubarb wine, which is nearly finished, and seems to be ok.

We've moved onto parsnip wine, and it's gone all gloopy. We strained the rhubarb wine through muslin, doing the same with the parsnip is taking forever (due to the whole gloopy thing).

Should I persevere, or will fishing the rest of the parsnips out and just adding the yeast work ok?
    Last edited by Gardening Gaz; 16-12-2012, 04:13 PM.

There shouldn't be any real need to strain through muslin. I would strain through a colander or coarse sieve to remove the biggest bits of parsnip. You could then strain through muslin if you wish.

Can't quite understand why it is gloopy though. What recipe / method have you used?

Comment

3lbs parsnips, 3lbs sugar, 5 litres of water left for about a week.
      Same as we did with the rhubarb.

Thought it might be the extra sugars in the parsnips that caused the gloopyness?

Comment

Where did you get your recipe from? The one I use says to boil the parsnips till tender and then strain the cooking liquid onto the sugar.

I suspect your parsnips have started to dissolve.

Comment

It's a recipe that we got from someone on our allotment.

Comment

Did you boil the parsnips? Or pour boiling water onto them?

Comment

Poured the boiling water onto them.

Comment

couple of recipies here. How to make parsnip wine Both say strain after boiling. I think your parsnips are simply decomposing

Comment

OK thanks.
                  I'll remove the parsnips, add the yeast and see what happens.....

Comment

Originally posted by Gardening Gaz View Post
                    parsnip wine ... gone all gloopy.
                    Have a look at this one, it's a TnT (tried n tested): http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ine_11876.html

It might tell you where you've gone wrong.

At a guess, I'd say you left the parsnips too long and they're rotting. I'd chuck it, myself.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X