Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topping off wine with water

Hi there,
    I just racked off a 1 gallon batch of wine into the secondary fermenter and after leaving the sediment behind I was short about 2 cups from the neck. So I topped it off with water. Do you reckon that was a bad thing to do and will it alter the recipe? Have a had a quick google and opinions seem devided.
    Appreciate it as I'm sure it's bound to happen again. What do you do?
    Thanks

Hi Redser

I always top off my wines to make sure that I will get six full bottles from my brews.

All you will have done is to slightly dilute it and reduce the alcohol content, which should not make too much of a difference. After all, you will have added water to your original mix so this is the same as if you had added it earlier.

Andy
    http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

Thanks a lot Andy! That's reassuring. Checked it this morning and looks like I didnt do a very good job leabing the sediment behind so will have to rack it again and add some more water.
      Cheers

Comment

Don't rack it again yet Redser. You will always get sediment forming while the yeast is working. When fermentation has finished rack the wine.

Comment

Thanks for the warning! Will do.

Comment

You're *supposed* to top up with sugary water to the same strength as your brew ... however, I can never be arrised to work out the maths, so I just top up with grape juice
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks. What do you mean by grape juice? Just ordinary store bought white or red?

Comment

Depends on how short I am, I sometimes top up but if I don't want to dilute (if it's not that strong a brew) then I put in some steralised glass marbles to reduce the air gap - obviously this then makes less than 6 bottles but sometimes that works better for me.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks Alison, that's an interesting way to do it

Comment

Originally posted by redser View Post
                    What do you mean by grape juice?
                    Tesco Not From Concentrate Pure Red Grape Juice 1 Litre - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

Comment

If topping up with plain water, ensure it has been boiled for a 'while'. Cheers, Tony.
                      Semper in Excrementem Altitvdo Solvs Varivs.

Comment

Thanks Two Sheds.
                        Kleftiwallah, it wasn't boiled. I rushed the whole thing to be honest. Only learning and when it dawned on me I was short I just poured in a couple of cups from the tap. What's the risks? Thanks

Comment

The risks are pretty minimal to be honest.

The water straight from the tap will still be full of chlorides and whatever else your local water company adds to it, but the volume of water to wine shouldn't be enough to cause much of a problem.

There is also a slight risk of contamination, but again the stuff put in by the water company should have already sorted that out for you.

Andy
                          http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

There is a risk of bacteria breeding if you use unboiled water: eg, you wouldn't pour yourself a bottle of water then leave it in your house for a month before drinking it

Comment

Thanks. I believe our water quality in this area is quite good so fingers crossed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X