Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermenting bins

Started my first ever brew the other night, a gallon of Rhubarb wine

But thinking ahead I'd like to try larger amounts. I see 30 litre fermenting bins with bung holes in the top for 15 euro from home brew shops. But also 30 litre food grade bins with no holes for only 6 elsewhere. Is it possible to use these? What do you about an airlock? Just snap the lid on?
    Thanks a lot!

You need to let the air out when its fermenting, or bang! You could punch a hole in the food bins I suppose and fit an airlock but I would just spend the extra few quid and get a proper fermenting bin which would be airtight and not let any bacteria in.
    Just my opinion,humble or not

Comment

Thanks. Maybe I can drill a small hole. I want a couple so it's a big enough saving.

Comment

The idea of the airlock is to stop bugs getting in as well as letting air out. I just open the lid to let it out each day til the ferment calms down a bit. You can see it pushing up so it's easy to see.

Comment

Cheapo fermenters here I come. Thanks a lot

Comment

redser, buy them!, you can buy taps and tubing for ease of transfer, bulk fermentation is the way, initial fermentation produces lots of CO2 so no bugs getting in, fit an airlock to the lid if you like, electrical grommets fit airlocks and 14ml holes but why bother, you are going to transfer to 5lt PET before it gets slow and has less CO2 protection.............
            Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Sorry to bump an old thread but.....

Would a new garden bucket be ok? It does not have a lid is that essential?

Thanks in advance

Stu

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Stu8706 View Post
                Would a new garden bucket be ok? It does not have a lid is that essential?

It should really be food grade plastic. "rough" plastic develops minute cracks & scratches that can harbour bacteria.

And yes, a lid is essential if you don't want dust, fluff, insects & dog hair in your brew
                Seriously, you need to keep airborne bacteria & fungi OUT
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I went big on wine production years ago, you do need to keep bugs out or the wine will spoil and you can easily drill a hole in a plastic lid and fit a standard demi- john bung and trap providing the lid isn't too flimsy. A friend and I drank nearly a gallon of half made wheat and raison (Tasted like whisky) including the bottom yeast and ended up at the docs two days later with intense stomach ache. Oh the foolishness of youth. I also built my own still using a kettle and copper brake pipe; the distilled celery wine had a cheeky nitromors flavour. I hasten to add that distilling wine is illegal and the resultant liquor can be highly poisonous.
                  photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X