No announcement yet.

Raspberry Vodka

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd go on your taste - try a punnet or two to see how sweet/intensive you like it. I've been doing the same with toffee vodka. Tried it after a bag of werthers - needed some more as it was still too harsh! 2 bags were alright, 3 were amazing

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
      I'd go on your taste - try a punnet or two to see how sweet/intensive you like it. I've been doing the same with toffee vodka. Tried it after a bag of werthers - needed some more as it was still too harsh! 2 bags were alright, 3 were amazing
      Very inventive,I like your style! We've got a bottle of Blackberry vodka waiting to be strained off after being given a little bag of berries from the hedgerow and the annual sloe gin. We've doubled the amount of that 'cos one one bottle is a contribution to the toast drink for my brothers wedding on the 29th December. Counting sleeps now!
      Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

I've just strained my sloe vodka today, and after a little taste (or 2) I decided to add a little more sugar to the bottle. it was mmmmmmmm though

Comment

Quantities - half the amount of raspberries by volume to alcohol. The same for all of these schnapps type concoctions. If you go much over the half & half quantities, you risk diluting the alcohol too much, at which point the fruit can start fermenting. Which gets messy in a pressure-build-up sort of way

Comment

Oh, and in my humble opinion, frozen fruit actually works better than fresh - freezing/defrosting breaks down the cell walls and allows the juice to flow more freely

Comment

^ spoken like, erm a true professional alchy!

Comment

That's very helpful everyone. Glad I can add sugar to taste as don't have a sweet tooth . Was thinking of cutting back on my raspberry canes but may wait a while. Thanks for the proportions SarzWix

Comment

How long does it take for the voddy to take on the rasp flavour? We were tidying the freezer here last night and found loads more rasps than we thought. This might be a nice way to use some of them
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

This sounds yummy - could someone tell me how much sugar you need to add too?

Comment

If they've been frozen, it's drinkable really quickly because the juice flows out of them as they defrost. If you did it now, it would taste of raspberries by the weekend; tisn't like tough-skinned sloes that take forever to break down. It improves if you keep it longer, but is still lovely if you don't

Sugar, depends on the sweetness of the fruit, and whether you'll want to drink it neat, or mix it with something sweet like lemonade. I usually go for a tablespoon per 70cl of vodka, but sometimes add a bit more after I've strained it. I have quite a sweet tooth though and the OH tells me it's too sweet

Comment

Thanks Sarz
                        Happy Gardening,
                        Shirley

Comment

I don't actually measure, but I put the fruit and sugar (about 4oz suger per lb fruit, less for sweet fruit, a bit more for the sharper stuff) in a big jam jar (or anything with a similarly big opening at the top) until it looks fullish, then pour over a much alcohol as will fit in.
                          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                            I don't actually measure, but I put the fruit and sugar (about 4oz suger per lb fruit, less for sweet fruit, a bit more for the sharper stuff) in a big jam jar (or anything with a similarly big opening at the top) until it looks fullish, then pour over a much alcohol as will fit in.
                            Well as no-one had a tried and tested recipe for cranberry vodka, I've used this one.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X