Have I miscalculated?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I miscalculated?

Just made the T.Bag Wine and delicious it smells too. Other Half came in as I was measuring the S.G. and wondered what I was doing as he thought I looked like a mad professor (ahem!)
    Anyway, I was busy measuring out sugar and adding it to the demi-john, shaking in between each addition.
    He now tells me I won't get a true reading with dry sugar as it isn't dissolved.
    Fortunately, I had only added enough to get it to the 1090 max that Shirl said in the recipe.
    So you clever, wise and alcohol interested people, is he correct?
    I did stir it thoroughly before I got the 1090 reading which made more of a difference than shaking it had.
    Hope that all makes sense but would appreciate advice please.

The bottled fruit wine is now in a demi-john bubbling away like mad and from the little sip I had before I put the bung in it will hopefully be very nice. We shall see.

Yes he is correct.

You could use a calculator to predict what the SG will be rather than having to measure it.

YoBrew - Free Beer and Wine calculators

I couldn't find the wine calculator tab on that spreadsheet though.
    Last edited by Capsid; 17-04-2012, 04:21 PM.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Thanks for that Capsid. Much appreciated.

Comment

It's much better to dissolve the sugar in boiling water, cool it then add the syrup to the DJ

for next time
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks T.S. I most certainly will.
          It is bubbling away merrily now. HOWEVER, the fruit wine, which was also bubbling happily away is now going mental and pouring out of the airlock!!!!!!!

Comment

Yeah, that happens. I usually leave it at least a week before topping up to the top. I got fed up of over enthusiastic early morning kitchen floor cleaning sessions.

I also mix mine to 1.08 as there will always be some sugar in the bottom that hasn't dissolved.

Comment

Yep, I was certainly keen to get it topped up. That'll learn me eh?

Comment

Every day's a school day

Comment

Two of my favourite expressions are "no knowledge is ever wasted" and "We'll learn by our mistakes"
                  I fully believe in the first but believe me, the second is VERY misleading.

Comment

Anyway, it's a great rose wine, when you get it: worth the effort

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X