A home made mixture??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A home made mixture??

I was given a home brew kit for Christmas, unfortunately, my young dog thought the instructions tasted nice, and ate the lot, so, using what I had in grey matter, I decided to have a go anyway, I'd made cherry vodka many years ago using rectified spirit I'd bought in Poland, half litre of spirit made 6 litres of cherry vodka, so I had an idea, well sort of.
    I heated my water and poured in the sugar, after the sugar disolved, I added in the bag of molasses, the mixture turned a very dark colour, however, I continued, I prepared the yeast, triple still turbo yeast, and added it to the mixture and bottled it, and used airlocks, and the demijohn bubbled away, and after the bubbles stopped, I syphoned off and bottled the stuff, I've left it sit for a while.
    I drained some into another bottle, and put the mixture into the freezer, and we're now at April, and the mixture wont freeze, its still a fluid, I was a bit scared to taste the stuff, but my son decided to bite the bullet and tasted it, he said it tasted funny, but it had a kick like a mule, but when it went down, it was all warm, and he knew he'd had a strong belt of alcohol, but how can it be alcohol, I didn't distill the mixture, so what could I have brewed using the molasses.
    If only my dog didn't like eating paper, or, as my wife put it, I'd done the sensible thing and put the instructions where the dog couldn't get them.
    Last edited by Tattie-muncher; 07-04-2012, 01:05 AM.

The 'triple still turbo yeast' is supposed to carry on fermenting up to about 23%, which is about the strength of commercial sloe gin, and other fruit schnapps type drinks. So treat it like a spirit/liqueur, and be sure not to try and drive after imbibing!

Comment

Originally posted by Tattie-muncher View Post
      but how can it be alcohol, I didn't distill the mixture,
      Alcohol is made when yeast feeds on sugar.

Comment

I was just that bit worried about the mixture still being a fluid after the amount of time its spent in the freezer, I've put vodka in the freezer to thicken it up a bit, but this stuff is still very much a fluid, but thanks very much for the help, bottoms up!!

Comment

Sugar and alcohol don't freeze solid.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X