Wine froth entered airlock

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine froth entered airlock

Yesterday I made the fruit tea bag wine, it's been frothing away like mad. I think I overfilled the DJ when I made up the 1/2 bag of sugar into a syrup solution to aid it dissolving.

I filled it to the shoulders of the DJ - was this too full?

Is it an issue with the froth entering the airlock? Should I sterilise another one and replace it? I filled the airlock half way, with a campden tablet (crushed) dissolved in water.

TIA!

Pics:

You put it into the DJ too soon, and it's too full.

Lessons learned

Clean out the airlock & refit it. I'd also sacrifice some of the brew if it's still going mad
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Ok, will sort that now! Thanks

Comment

(how full should it be? )

Comment

I leave mine to who here the straight edge of the DJ ends and it starts to curve up. Did you not have it in a brewing bucket?
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

No, straight into the DJ.. next time I'll use the bucket, be easier to stir the sugar in at least!!

Comment

Actually just read that part about putting it in the DJ too soon, I must have misread the instructions as I didn't realise that - d'oh!

Comment

Just take the airlock off, wash it out and sterilise it and re-fit it. I use Milton tablets for sterilising.

Comment

You could tip it into in a sterile bucket now it's not too late. Our home made wines used to stay in the bucket for up to three weeks as long as they were active.

Got to say you guys are making me think about starting again!
                  Last edited by marchogaeth; 31-01-2012, 07:57 PM.
                  "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                    Actually just read that part about putting it in the DJ too soon, I must have misread the instructions as I didn't realise that - d'oh!
                    Hey, so you used artistic license. I'm sure it all tastes the same when it hits your throat

Think I'm going to give this a crack! Supermarket here I come!
                    Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 31-01-2012, 07:36 PM.
                    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Would I need an airlock on the bucket lid? or just a loosely fitted lid?

I've sterilised another airlock and bung, poured some out (re-meausred - still 1.100) and fit the new bung/airlock.

Thanks for all the advice/info so far.

Edit: forgot to ask - when steeping the teabags (or whatever ingredient), do you loosely cover with a muslin to stop and bugs getting in or just leave it open?
                      Last edited by chris; 31-01-2012, 08:02 PM.

Comment

...and another set of queries

Add to the d/j the grape juice, pectolase, nutrient and acid.
                        Add the cooled liquor and sugar until sg 1.080 / 1.090, add the yeast or starter, cover and ferment to dry.
                        Once ferment has ceased stabilise and leave to clear, use finings if you prefer.
                        I took that as add the grape juice and stuff to the d/j, THEN add the tea bag infusion, and sugar until the right reading.

Have I misunderstood that?

Comment

Chris, I mix mine all up in a bucket, cover with a muslin cloth for a couple of days and then pour into the demijohn.

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                            Would I need an airlock on the bucket lid? or just a loosely fitted lid?

I've sterilised another airlock and bung, poured some out (re-meausred - still 1.100) and fit the new bung/airlock.

Thanks for all the advice/info so far.

Edit: forgot to ask - when steeping the teabags (or whatever ingredient), do you loosely cover with a muslin to stop and bugs getting in or just leave it open?
                            I always strain through muslin, guess you've got that! I never use an airlock on a fermenting bucket and I do fit a lid. But I stir the mix twice a day, lifting the lid to release build up.

Comment

Thanks both, very helpful. Would have been easier, d'oh.

I did think it was a bit of a faff Did I get the mixing of the infusion + juice correct though? Whilst I have you all helping me, if you add sugar syrup do you add it when it's cooled down - I couldn't seem to get my brew down to 20 degrees, it was 30 odd.. Still is. My kitchen is v.warm though

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X