No announcement yet.

Get Juicing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Begining to get a yen to try one for myself! Sounds like good things could issue forth from the kitchen!

Comment

pictures as promised
      Last edited by pigletwillie; 16-07-2006, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Wow! That looks lovely!

Comment

I was windering what to do withthe redcurrants I've got
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

That looks beautiful, I think that I have to invest in a steamer. I could see the red currants easily converted into wine.
            Regards
            Don Vincenzo

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie
              Caroline,

thay are far better than the electrical ones that just squeeze fruit and veg. I have a Mehu Meija and one made by Vigo which are available here, however I bought mine in France for 49 euros (£35) which is about half price.

If you want to make fruit jelly or cordials they are the business as you dont need to hang the juice up in a muslin bag. As for apple juice etc you can bottle it as mentioned before.

I wouldnt be without mine.
              pigletwillie, my OH is concerned that the steaming/pasteurising removes a large amount of the nutritional value, especially if just doing juice to be drunk. Any thought?

Comment

I suppose any processing will reduce nutritional value and that includes removing juice from the fruit as most of the nutrients will be in the the bit that goes into the compost bin.

The steam just ruptures the cell walls of the fruit allowing the juice to run free and clear and does not cook it.

If you want all of the nutrients then I suppose your OH will just need to eat the apple rather than juice it.
                Last edited by pigletwillie; 17-07-2006, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Steaming will destroy some vitamin C, but then vit C is very unstable and just about any processing or storage destroys it. I would be inclinded to think that any juice you make yourself from your own fruit is going to have a much higher nutrient value than any juice you buy. This would more than make up for the loss of vitamin C in the steaming. Fruit that's been stored by a supermarket has hardly any vit C left by the time you get it.

Comment

juicers

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                    I suppose any processing will reduce nutritional value and that includes removing juice from the fruit as most of the nutrients will be in the the bit that goes into the compost bin.

The steam just ruptures the cell walls of the fruit allowing the juice to run free and clear and does not cook it.

If you want all of the nutrients then I suppose your OH will just need to eat the apple rather than juice it.
                    Please give us the suppliers name, who supplied the french
                    model, at half the price. Thank you
                    Retep Nannerb

Comment

Steam Juicer

I've tried looking around for the cheaper steam juicer but to no avail. So in the end I have bought the Mehu Liisa 10 Litre from Juiceland at £89.95 with free UK delivery Juiceland: Mehu Liisa Steam Juicer . It is very good quality and probably worth the extra spend, although I have never seen the cheaper version - so I'll probably never know.
                      Last edited by kebabby; 01-02-2008, 10:44 AM. Reason: i linked to the wrong place - doh!

Comment

Used to have a normal juicer but it never really got used much so freecycled it as it was such a pain to wash. Prefer to just eat the fruit now, much easier for me! Never heard of the steam juicer things, sound good but no way I'd pay that much for a gadget that I wouldn't use enough but if you want to make loads then they're probably worth while.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

To be honest I've tried the normal and the steam juicers and although the steamed juice is very good it cant match the standard juicer. Also remember that you are watering the juice down as well with a steamer and this along with destroying some of the nutritional content prevents me from buying a steamer.

It depend on what you want/like. Its all down to personal taste in the end i guess

Martin

Comment

I never got on with my juicer - but I do make 'smoothies' with my normal blender (same as juice but with added yoghurt!).

I dont like the gritty bits either but suffer them because I'm too lazy to strain!
                            Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

juicer/steamer/smoothy ????

Listened to an item on the radio which suggested that juiced or smoothed fruit does not do you any where near as much good as the solid stuff chewed.

As a lot of the fibre and cellulose has been either mashed or removed it is not as good for you as the solid stuff.

To the point where the article said you could not replace your five a day with five portions of juiced fruit or veg, carrot etc

Comment

Originally posted by Brewer-again View Post
                                As a lot of the fibre and cellulose has been either mashed or removed it is not as good for you as the solid stuff.

To the point where the article said you could not replace your five a day with five portions of juiced fruit or veg, carrot etc
                                You do have a point there, BA - a lot of the 'goodness' (and certainly all of the fibre) is lost when juicing - or 'processing' in any way, as others have said. I guess this is why a glass of wine does not count as a portion of fruit....?

I read that however many glasses of home juiced stuff you drink, it still counts as one portion of your 5 a day.

HOWEVER home juiced is always superior to shop juice - taste and nutrient, so I would take it all the reports with a pinch of salt. But not literally!!
                                Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 07-02-2008, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X