Regulating Acidity in Wine?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regulating Acidity in Wine?

Can I pick the brains of regular wine-makers? I have fruit in the freezer to use up: rhubarb, raspberries, and redcurrants, and I'm thinking they'd make a nice rosé, but, they're all acidic. What can I add to tone that down a bit? Would sultanas do it?

I put sultanas in my apple one bit I was just following a recipe. Will be interested to see the answers.
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

You have to add acid (citric or whatever) to most wines, but you don't for raspberry.

I should be ironing, but this is more interesting. Let me look ...

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ase_59183.html

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ipe_40390.html
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 23-01-2012, 11:07 AM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've just made some last week, frozen rasps, 3 bananas [Mr Z bought me 12 and then I was ill so didn't eat 4 so used in winemaking] and a small bottle of smoothie that I also didn't get round to drinking due to illness.....

Comment

Mixed Summer Fruit Wine from Judith Irwin

1.8kg fruit (strawbs, rasps, currants)
          1kg white sugar
          1 lemon, juiced
          1tsp pectic enzyme
          1tsp nutrient
          yeast
          1 cup strong black tea (for tannin)

If you use more than 450g of currants (which are naturally acidic), then omit the lemon juice

Comment

Yay! Thanks guys Our Judith Irwin book has gone walkabout somewhere

Comment

If the acidity really is going to be excessive (can't imagine apart from some rhubarb or a very strong citrus) you need to add something like precipitated chalk to react with the acid. The possible problem with rhubarb is more the type of acid than the strength.
              Banana should dilute acid OK, but the only time I made wine using bananas it utterly refused to clear, and ended up being dumped!
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                the only time I made wine using bananas it utterly refused to clear
                Ah. You need to use REALLY ripe (black) bananas. I keep mine in the freezer until needed

Comment

i made 2 gallon of nana wine 2 years ago i kept the fermentation going for about 4 mnths using a sherry yeast and feeding a sugar soloution every week or so i tasted it a while back and its fantastic and nice and clear . trouble is it was just a concocsion so i can not repeat it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X