No announcement yet.

fruit press

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We went round a small cider/calvados farm on Saturday.
    I asked about the pressure on the apples and he said"not much - only about 2 bars"
    Now then , he'll be using metric measures- so maybe it can be worked out from that?

He said it's important not to over press them. No idea why- he was chattering on in French a tad too quickly for me to interrupt him all the time!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks Merlin - I'll give it a whirl.
      Do you own a castle in Pierrefonds?
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I've never heard that Nicos. Perhaps it's to do with the material holding the apples, rather than the apples themselves? We managed to 'burst' a muslin bag once by pressing to hard/too fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
          I asked about the pressure on the apples and he said"not much - only about 2 bars"
          Now then , he'll be using metric measures- so maybe it can be worked out from that?

He said it's important not to over press them. No idea why- he was chattering on in French a tad too quickly for me to interrupt him all the time!
          Stop talking all things French - I have now purchased a case of Beaujolais Nouveau and its all your fault!
          I have to move...only kidding Nicos - thanks for the reminder
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

The key we have found with the cider making (4th year now) after having a wee chat with the lovely man who maes local Pickled Pig cider and scrumping some of his apples, is that once it has fermented out then you have to leeeeeaaaavvvvve it. It is far more drinkable after about 6 months than after 6 weeks, because it goes through a malolactic fermentation, which smooths the whole thing out and makes it deeelish.
            Hic

The mistake many peeps make is to wait til it's fermented and drink it straight away, and then they feel disappointed as it's not what they hoped for.

And blending once initial fermentation is a good idea too. we get our apples over a few months and then blend them once they have all finished fermenting. That's about now So that's what my next few evenings will be spent doing, as this year we've 15 gallons or so

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
              this year we've 15 gallons or so
              Hmmm, sounds about enough for a party

Comment

Shall we go AP? Long way to Ely for both of us though

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post

In the context of pressure a 'bar' means the same pressure as the atmosphere, a little under 15lb/sq inch. 2 bars will be 29lb/sq inch, which is actually not so very much (a bit less than the pressure in most car tyres).
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                    I've never heard that Nicos. Perhaps it's to do with the material holding the apples, rather than the apples themselves? We managed to 'burst' a muslin bag once by pressing to hard/too fast.
                    Stainless steel drum! ..hmm- maybe all was not explained???

( welcome to my world of only half understanding what has been said!)
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                      Shall we go AP? Long way to Ely for both of us though
                      Whoah, just noticed this post. Yesterday I would have been up for it with an invitation like this

Comment

Originally posted by adamhartree View Post
                        hi, does anyone know where i can hire a fruit press from so i can make cider and perry, im in birmingham if that helps, i dont think i will use it much so it wouldnt be worth me buyying one. thanks for your help
                        Hi there, sorry for resurrecting an old thread! I just stumbled across this forum in a google search for a fruit press in Birmingham. I wondered if the OP remembers where he got it from, or if anyone else knows somewhere to reccomend?

Many thanks,

HM

Comment

Try Ebay!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X