Marrow Rum

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marrow Rum

OK, have tried to search and can't find anything helpful so apologies to those who can point me straight in the right direction.

Anyway, I have quite a lot of marrows this year. Am already doing stuffed marrow, marrow wine and hiding it in every meal I can. This has made me consider doing some marrow rum. I've found various recipes for it on the internet but has anybody actually tried making it? If so, can they answer the following questions?

1 - How big does the marrow have to be, it just keeps talking about large which is obviously open to interpretation

2 - Does it attract fruit flies?

3 - Most of the recipes I have seem to put the marrow (packed with sugar etc) in a pillowcase / bucket for a few weeks then move it all to a demijohn to ferment out. If this is the case, do you put all the marrow flesh in the demijohn and at what point do you strain it off?

4 - Does it actually taste nice?

Am sure there are other questions but that will do for now. Thanks.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

TwoSheds is the marrow rum "expert"

Comment

Hi,
      I've made it from time to time, worked out ok so try this ,
      1,large marrow ( hollowed out).
      2,enough demerrera sugar to fill cavity.
      3,wine yeast( german strain varietal D).
      4,Pair of tights & abucket.
      5, high alcohol yeast(french strain GV26).

Hollow out marrow, fill with sugar , start wine yeast and add to cavity,replace marrow end, tie in the tights, hang vertically over bucket and leave for a week. if anything drips out the end save and after a week or so pierce bottom of marrow what ever comes out add high alcohol yeast and ferment out.

P54jes.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
        TwoSheds is the marrow rum "expert"
        yeah, funny

I made it once, the marrow collapsed as it fermented in the boiler cupboard and I came home from work to a stair carpet saturated in 4 litres of sugary juice ~ it was my landlord's house. I moved out shortly afterwards
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 10-09-2011, 07:43 AM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X