plastic fermenation bins

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plastic fermenation bins

I have a plastic 10 litre fermentation/brewing bin. Apart from the printing on the outside it seems to be identical to the bins containing fertiliser etc I keep in the greenhouse. There is no discerible difference. They are the same size, the fittings are the same, the colour of the plastic is the same. Take away the printing and I wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

Does anyone know whether they are essentially the same article, made with the same food grade plastic and if so, is there any reason why I can't use them to ferment wine?

Thanks

Rob
    Last edited by rob the roller; 27-06-2011, 05:51 PM.

I'm sure they're the same thing. You need to watch out for scratches in the plastic which might potentially harbour germs to spoil your wine: sterilise everything of course
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I think all food grade (therefore safe to use) plastics should carry the 'knife and fork' symbol, if thats there clean them up and get brewing!!!!
      <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Not all white plastic is safe for fermenting and not all foodstuff containers either!, I have access to catering gravy powder tubs that are a nice green colour, safe for dry powder ingredients but the colouring matter in the plastic would not be safe for wet ingredients, destined to grow tomatoes next year, have a chat with your local bakery they get almond paste in nice white buckets, there might be some residual almond flavour in them but if you like macaroons!, make a few spicy whites in them first.
        Last edited by ohbeary; 01-08-2011, 11:48 PM.
        Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X