No announcement yet.

Raspberry Wine Recipe Please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just what i needed to know to use up the several pounds of raspberries in my freezer!

how do the raspberry wine recipies compare to normal shop bought normal reds like shiraz / merlot etc?
    http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer_Gyles View Post
      how do the raspberry wine recipies compare to normal shop bought normal reds like shiraz / merlot etc?
      Nothing like it.

Raspberry is more of a rosé
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Giles, the best you can hope for from raspberries is a wonderful rose' be sure to use 8oz sultanas per gal simmered in a pint of water +1 tsp nutrient.............theres more here,
        http://www.homewinemaking.co.uk/foru...num=1271100201
        this is just my pink wine recipe but look around and there is a lotb of good advice...
        Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

rose is good ....
          i had 2 copies of the cjj berry book .... can't find either of them ....
          and we've been reorganising the house, so we've been through absolutely everything here ... it's defnitely not here any more ...

Comment

i have a small fruit press - i could press the raspberries for the juice - is it worth doing?
            if a recipe says 4lb of raspberries, how much raspberry juice would that recipe need?

Comment

I'd be inclined to follow the recipe, but perhaps press the solids after straining, and add that liquid back into what was strained (if that makes sense). I wouldn't go by volume of raspberry juice, use whatever you get from the proper quantity of fruit.
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                Mine is very...dry, what about yours?
                Yep, dry as a bone. And potent (I was squiffy just after racking it)
                Now in bottles, and I'm eyeing up all the raspberry suckers that have just appeared: would it be wrong to give half a lotty to them?

Comment

Enjoyed reading this. How did yours come out Alison? Going to kick one off soon.

Comment

Not made any this year - it's been very hectic at work and I've hardly had time to breath! However the last bottle from last year which we drunk the other week was very nice although rather too dry for OH's taste. Lovely and clear with a good fruity taste though and despite being potent as anything it didn't leave a hangover the next day so all good

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks for letting me know! I might try 3 lbs fruit and 3 lbs sugar and hope it ends up the sweet rather than dry side. Mind if I ask how long you waited between starting the brew and drinking the first bottle if you remember?
                      Thanks
                      Last edited by redser; 16-09-2012, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Think we had the first bottle about Christmas time last year, guess that was probably about 6 months after I first started it off. Would have probably been OK before then though I'd have thought.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Great! Thanks a lot Alison

Comment

Originally posted by redser View Post
                            Thanks for letting me know! I might try 3 lbs fruit and 3 lbs sugar and hope it ends up the sweet rather than dry side. Mind if I ask how long you waited between starting the brew and drinking the first bottle if you remember?
                            Thanks
                            That's far too much sugar. I thought the sweet/dry issue has been explained?

It has, in your rhubarb thread.

You ferment until ALL the sugar has turned to alcohol; I start with 2.5 kg fruit to 750g/1kg sugar. If you want it sweet then you back sweeten it.
                            Last edited by zazen999; 17-09-2012, 08:22 AM.

Comment

WellI guess it didn;t sink in. Lots to learn

Comment

You can't dump all the sugar in at the start: it will overwhelm the yeast and kill the fermentation. For a stronger wine you add sugar incrementally, throughout the fermentation (and you use a dessert yeast).

For a sweeter wine, you can simply add sweetener at the end (adding sugar will kickstart fermentation again and that could go on indefinitely).

Or, add something sweet to your glass ~ sugar, fruit juice etc
                                Last edited by Two_Sheds; 17-09-2012, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X