HELP! dandelion wine gone weird!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! dandelion wine gone weird!

Came to strain out the flowers and orange zest from dandelion wine, and it was all thick and gooey!
    Anyone know if it can be salvaged, and how?
    Can't find my copy of Berry, and can't remember what he says about it (got a feeling it's what he calls 'ropey')

I've had the odd failure before, but nothing like this!
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

'Ropiness

The wine takes on a repellent, oily appearance, and pours very slowly, like treacle, but the taste is unaffected. The wine will look rather like the raw white of an egg and in it will appear rope-like coils - hence the name. This is the work of the lactic acid bacterium. Remedy: whip the wine into a froth in a polythene bucket, add two crushed Campden tablets per gallon and filter.'

Says CJJ.

Comment

All I can say or post is a huge

I have never heard of 'ropey' and have now cut and pasted this as another worry to my wine making worries list - which is smaller than my bee keeping worries list.....
      HF rushes of for a wee sippy of sherry to calm nerves!

Rhubarb looking odd - all that precipitated chalk stuff..........crikey......
      Last edited by Headfry; 19-04-2011, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks Hazel
        Headfry, in several hundred batches, all made without recourse to sterilizing compounds, this is the first time I've had this problem. Lactic acid bacteria are usually found in yoghurt and some cheeses (they are part of the process of turning milk into these things), so maybe it came fromthe presence of cheese in my kitchen?
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X