Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ikea bottles

Just for info,

The bottles you can get out of Ikea at the moment, with the metal mechanism and white bung, don't do very well if you try to sterilise them in the oven. The bung melts at any slightly high temperature and drips onto your oven floor.

How to remove plastic, anyone?
    Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

WD40, Caro...
    Thanks for the tip - will give those a wide berth.
    Last edited by Jeanied; 26-07-2010, 07:56 PM.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I must admit I did these with lakeland ones the first time, the destructions said safe up to 140 degrees, and so I used 120 and the same happened. I got my £ back and they changed the destructions.

I pop them off and give them a milton soak and a good rinse. You can wedge the metal frame off with a blunt knife and they slide back on pretty easy.

Comment

Best bet guys, sterilise/clean with VWP/SDP, rinse well, or if you must, use boiling water, never bake bottles and stoppers or jam jars, they do not like it!, a chlorine based cleaner will do the job, rinse well with clean water, final flush with boiling water if you must.
        Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Jam jars are fine hot-sterilized, as long as you don't overdo it (and there aren't any plastic bits).
          Anything intended for jam that won't take 140 degrees C is unsatisfactory anyway. I know jam doesn't actually get quite that hot (more like 115) but a bit of leeway is necessary, and I ALWAYS fill jars with HOT jam, straight off the heat.
          I don't like chemical sterilizing things, strictly for when unavoidable. If 'soap' and a boil rinse isn't enough, I'm not interested. I'm not ding a commercial version!
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X