No announcement yet.

Strawberry Vodka

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're really kind. Top shelf of our Squirrel Cupboard, far right, is a huge kilner jar of white rum with Strawberries in. Been there a year now, should prolly give it a looksie..... mmmmm.....

Comment

I did Plum Brandy last year.. took a long time to clear but tatsed yummy. My sister turned some of the glut into plum wine and we are supping that now. This year i will do a bottle or two of plum gin and see how that works.
      Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Isn't this a lovely thread?! Bigmally thank you for it......X

Trousers picked 1.25kg of Sloes from the hedge, because the birds have already started feasting on the Elder and Rowan Berries already, so I've cleaned and frozen them (the Sloes, not the birds, obviously, doh!) which'll mimic a frost, and then I'll bruise them with a rolling pin before steeping in Olcohol, Hic!

I was listening to Simon Mayo (and James May, just hilarious, or wot!) on Radio Two yesterevening, and the foodyspot bloke talked of Sloe Whisky drizzled over something or other, and given that I've already got a vat of Damson Brandy/Gin/Vodka from yesteryear, I rather fancy trying Sloe Whizzy this year.

Imagine having Flu and having THAT to look forward to in a Hot Toddy, eh?!

In anticipation of defrosing said Sloes, I'm keen to take informed advice on sugar levels for my 'Man Stroke Woman Flu Whizzky' recipe, because I'd like it to be Whizzky with a definite hint of Sloe, so that you can still lob Honey into the Toddy, if you get my drift...

Oh, and if this becomes an award-winning 'kill or cure' interglobal success of a recipe, don't even THINK of stealing my thunder peeps, eh?!
        Last edited by wellie; 03-09-2010, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Wellie, I've made blackberry whisky like this: 400g blackberries, 600ml whisky, 250g sugar. You can prolly just do the same for sloes? Then add honey to taste
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My local shop had Raspberries on special offer yesterday, so I bought a very cheap bottle of Voddy and made two bottles of Raspberry Voddy last night. Haven't made it before (have made Strawberry Voddy ) but have drunk it previously, and it's delish!
            Last edited by Glutton4...; 04-09-2010, 07:33 AM.
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I've got some plum vodka on the go but the plums at the top of the jar are obviously floating and have started to turn a little black where they are poking out. What am I doing wrong? Should I throw away those plums and leave the rest in the jar? I've now put a disc of baking parchment on top to try and keep them under the surface level of the vodka. I've had it on the go for a week in a dark cupboard.

Comment

Add more Vodka, Pickle! Just keep shaking it, and as they start to break down they'll sink.

That reminds me - I haven't shaken mine today...

Comment

Thanks G4 I've topped up the vodka to the top of the jar (about an inch) and given it a hearty shake.
                  Another quick question, I was obviously unlucky enough to put a plum in compete with a tiny maggot (even though I inspected each plum before putting it in) which I just found floating on the surface. Do you think this will be a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
                    Thanks G4 I've topped up the vodka to the top of the jar (about an inch) and given it a hearty shake.
                    Another quick question, I was obviously unlucky enough to put a plum in compete with a tiny maggot (even though I inspected each plum before putting it in) which I just found floating on the surface. Do you think this will be a problem?
                    well they have maggots in some alcohol .... the alkies among us will know what it's called .... don't worry the alcohol will sterilise it ... and protein is good for you

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
                      just get the little sod to spit out what hes drunk then bin him
                      don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                      remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Originally posted by snakeshack View Post
                        just get the little sod to spit out what hes drunk then bin him
                        Yup! What he said! LOL

Comment

ive made raspberry vodka for the first time this year. so far ive managed to resist having a sneaky taste for a couple of months. just hope it tastes as good as it looks!
                          http://pot-to-plot.blogspot.com/ My brand spanking new plot

Comment

did raspberry vodka and sloe gin last year

Blackberry vodka is on the go for this year, and am eyeing up the sloes as they ripen for more sloe gin too..

Waiting for my autumn raspberries to ripen then having a go at raspberry gin this year for a change
                            Last edited by Twinkle; 07-09-2010, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Top thread. I have experimented with plum vodka & gin as I have heaps of both yellow and red plums and use technique described above. The plan is bottle them as Xmas pressies. Red plum booze has star anise added and wow it works. Yellow plum gin works with nothing else. But yellow plum vodka is just wrong, the sharpness is nice but it needs another flavour and would like some ideas. Considering the sharper taste adding lime peel or mellow such as bay leaf, vanilla , or apple .
                              I have a 3 ltr squash bottle of the stuff so don't want to get it wrong.

Any idea's

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisE View Post
                                it needs another flavour ...don't want to get it wrong.
                                Taste is subjective: so what I'd like may not work for you. Perhaps you could start mixing small quantities of your plum vodka with other things: lime cordial; lemon squash; Ribena even, to find out what flavour works for you.
                                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X