I got the homebrew bug again!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
    Last year I made elderberry flower cordial (syrup). The only use I have for it is with gooseberries. I am wondering if I can use it for wine. I assume I would have to wait till all it's sugar is used then add when and if necessary.
    Not quite sure what you mean here, because the elderflower cordial I made is a syrup for diluting.
    If what you have is similar, I suspect that if you dilute it to a suitable SG and add yeast nutrient and yeast, it will work 'not too bad'. The amount of citric acid might be a bit much, or maybe not....
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
      Not quite sure what you mean here, because the elderflower cordial I made is a syrup for diluting.
      If what you have is similar, I suspect that if you dilute it to a suitable SG and add yeast nutrient and yeast, it will work 'not too bad'. The amount of citric acid might be a bit much, or maybe not....
      Well I decided to got for it. The syrup is in the flagon. I added brewers yeast and nutrient. It has been bubbling for 3 days. When activity wanes I plan to add more diluted sugar etc. etc. I have no idea what the expected % could be. Would you persevere?

Comment

Yes, persevere!

I love brewing stuff - a) it may be really nice, and if it is it's all your own. And b) if it does happen to be nasty, you've still had fun making it. (Plus you can give it to someone else and watch them try to tell you it's nice when they've tried it!! )

Comment

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
          Well I decided to got for it. The syrup is in the flagon. I added brewers yeast and nutrient. It has been bubbling for 3 days. When activity wanes I plan to add more diluted sugar etc. etc. I have no idea what the expected % could be. Would you persevere?
          This is where the hydrometer comes in, measure 1/2 gallon of cordial+water, test with hydrometer a reading of 1:035 = 15oz per gallon/4.4% it would be half this when made up to a gallon (7.5oz) so you would need to add 1lb 10oz to get a reading of around 1080 (10% ish)
          Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X