No announcement yet.

Sloe Gin without any sugar???

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is possible (but still illegal) to 'distill' with the aid of the freezer. The booze needs sufficient alcohol content (the only time I tried failed, I think it wasn't strong enough) and then you slow freeze, and keep removing the ice which forms.
    Much simpler (and probably a bit less hazardous, but perhaps not MUCH safer) than distilling in the usual sense.
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

That takes me back to my 'youth' in Canada Hilary. There was a spirit (illegal) called 'applejack' Applejack (beverage) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was made in this way (allegedly) by people living in the wilds. They would bury a keg of apple wine in autumn and as soon as the spring ground was soft enough (but still frozen) would dig it up, stand it in a metal basin and smash the keg and the frozen insides. The alcohol was of course in the middle after having been freeze-removed from the water bit.
      Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
      >
      >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Originally posted by Caro View Post
        Obviously everone here is BUYING the original spirit as it would be illegal to distill your own alcohol. But hypothetically speaking, would it be difficult to do?
        Just hypothetically speaking, one could possibly purchase online a "reflux" still, intended for the production of essential oils or distilations of herbs rather than making decoctions, note of warning! distilled herbal essences can be very strong and should be used with great caution, decoctions can be quite strong but are easier to produce.

just a note on separation by freezing!, this concentrates all the alcohol, in distillation so I am told, if you get 100 jam jars full, put the first 15 in you car and the last 20 are good for thinning paint, the other 65 will get you out of your skull!!! possibly permanently!................
        Last edited by ohbeary; 24-07-2010, 11:41 PM.
        Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Urmm.....I'm going to have you to ask you to stop sharing ideas on making your own spirits

...we've been down this route a couple of times before- and whilst it really is a very interesting subject we'd be breaking forum rules to continue discussing it

Sorry!
          Last edited by Nicos; 25-07-2010, 05:24 AM.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Spoil sport - just when it was getting interesting!!!!
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Sorry Nicos

If it's any help, the main advice seems to be that unless you want to be blind or dead, don't.

Mea culpa!

(But thanks everyone for your thoughts)
              Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

We did point out that distilling (or freeze-separation) is illegal (as well as unsafe).
                I thought it would be OK as long as we are also telling people NOT to try!
                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Well this seems like a good thread to ask this on. I have already added the sugar, so no "Slimline" version for me! I'm just wondering if I added too much sugar. Last year I made damson vodka and went too light on the sugar and it tasted more like cough medicine than anything nice to drink. So I didn't want that to happen with the sloes. I made two jars and in one of them, the sloes are nearly all floating due to the sugar amount in the gin. In the other, there are just a few light ones bobbing about. Is that too much or do others getting floating sloes too?

Comment

Originally posted by Growem View Post
                    Well this seems like a good thread to ask this on. I have already added the sugar, so no "Slimline" version for me! I'm just wondering if I added too much sugar. Last year I made damson vodka and went too light on the sugar and it tasted more like cough medicine than anything nice to drink. So I didn't want that to happen with the sloes. I made two jars and in one of them, the sloes are nearly all floating due to the sugar amount in the gin. In the other, there are just a few light ones bobbing about. Is that too much or do others getting floating sloes too?
                    I have found with sloes and damsons yhat they float initially but sink later as the alcohol and sugar draws water (and flavour) out of the fruit by osmosis.
                    currently making damson gin ,damson brandy damson vodka,blueberry vodka and gooseberry gin.looks like the sloes will be ready to pick anytime soon.
                    don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                    remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X