No announcement yet.

How Impressed Am I Ever Going To Be?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a lot of snobbery around re country wines probably a similar thing to the way that some people can look down on people who forage - you should hear the comments we get off some people we know . Also, some homemade stuff can be truly terrible as the quality control just isn't there. However, some can be really really good and some of the commercial country wines show what can be done, try some of the Lyme Bay (or something like that) ones, we had the raspberry and apple with Christmas dinner and chose it over supposedly better grape wines as it really suits us. I've yet to attain those heights with my own wines but I'm getting better and have thankfully never repeated the disaster of my first attempts many years ago that put me off for years!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

The important thing is not to expect 'non-grape wine' to taste LIKE bought wine. Comparing the 2 isn't like comparing instant coffee with 'proper' coffee, it's like comparing coffee with tea!
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
        The important thing is not to expect 'non-grape wine' to taste LIKE bought wine. Comparing the 2 isn't like comparing instant coffee with 'proper' coffee, it's like comparing coffee with tea!
        I buy non grape wine as I really like it when it's decent, the difference is between ropey homemade stuff and decent professionally produced stuff, be it grape or otherwise, grape does NOT necessarily mean better. Yes wine made from raspberries (say) obviously tastes different to the ,stuff made from grapes but different grapes have a totally different taste to each other. It would be MUCH fairer to compare it with different types of tea, chamomile tastes totally different to peppermint which in turn tastes totally different to builders tea. All have their place, all can be lovely to different palates etc.
        Last edited by Alison; 13-01-2012, 03:04 PM.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Chamomile tisane isn't made from the same stuff as builder's tea, nor is peppermint. Earl-grey is still basically 'tea', but as different from builder's tea as Muscadet from Shiraz.
          Whether the wine is a good quality is a separate question, and the answer is, "It can be, homemade or otherwise."

Comment

Chamomile tisane isn't made from the same stuff as builder's tea, nor is peppermint. Earl-grey is still basically 'tea', but as different from builder's tea as Muscadet from Shiraz."
            Erm that's exactly the point I was making

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
              Erm that's exactly the point I was making
              Chamomile tisane isn't made from the same stuff as builder's tea, nor is peppermint. Earl-grey is still basically 'tea', but as different from builder's tea as Muscadet from Shiraz.
              Whether the wine is a good quality is a separate question, and the answer is, "It can be, homemade or otherwise."
              Didn't come over quite that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                I buy non grape wine as I really like it when it's decent, the difference is between ropey homemade stuff and decent professionally produced stuff, be it grape or otherwise, grape does NOT necessarily mean better. Yes wine made from raspberries (say) obviously tastes different to the ,stuff made from grapes but different grapes have a totally different taste to each other. It would be MUCH fairer to compare it with different types of tea, chamomile tastes totally different to peppermint which in turn tastes totally different to builders tea. All have their place, all can be lovely to different palates etc.
                What a lovely prosaic description and very true as I am finding out.
                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X