Help - I've lost the instructions!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - I've lost the instructions!!

I have a fermenting bottle of damson wine on that I'm making using a hedgerow wine kit. Unfortunately, someone has either thrown out or tidied out of finding reach the instructions! The husband or mother-in-law have a lot to answer for (I would definitely not thrown it out and there's no way I did any tidying).

It really needs to go onto the next stage and I'm at a loss of what to do now. Does anyone have the same kit and could scan in the instructions for me by any chance? This is the kit: picture.

Assuming none of you use such a kit, could you tell me what to do next? I have several satchets left consisting of: citric acid, stabilser, finings no2, finings no 3, chitosan and oak extract.

A slight bump to raise awareness of this at perhaps a more civilized time to read it...

Comment

Hiya,
      sorry I don't have the instructions either, but have you tried emailing the supplier to try and find out if they can maybe help you?
      http://onegardenersadventures.blogspot.com/ updated 10-03-2010 with homebrew pics & allotment pics

Comment

Need to know what stage it's at now - you say it needs to go on to 'the next stage', but we need to know what you've done so far Is it still bubbling in the demi-john, or has the bubbling stopped?
        Must admit to being a bit confused that you have citric acid leftover, I would have expected that to go in at the beginning...
        The finings, stabiliser, chitosan etc are all to do with 'clearing' the finished wine, and would go in once the wine has finished fermenting, and been racked (siphoned, leaving the sediment behind) into a clean demi-john.

Comment

I haven't yet emailed the supplier as I only realised the problem this weekend. The stage it's at is in the demi-john, finished bubbling.

Comment

Gosh, did you pay £7.99 for it?! What did it come with, apart from the yeast and bits and bobs that you have leftover?

Right, well, the citric acid and the oak extract are both flavourings. The citric acid is to acidify it (sorry if any of this is obvious ) and the oak extract is to make it taste like it's been 'aged' in oak barrels. The 'stabiliser' is to stop it fermenting again in the bottles, and the other 3 are to 'clear' the wine (gets rid of any haziness).

I'm really sorry, but having trawled through CJJ Berry, I can't give you a definite answer of which way round to put them in, and my OH (who is a bit more experienced than me) is out at the mo...
            I think I'd go for flavourings first, then the stabiliser & finings. But I could easily be wrong!!

Comment

SarzWix, I'm such a newbie at wine making, a kit seemed to be the easiest way to get things right. I've made it once before and remember the citric acid went in after the stabilisers and finings, but that's unfortunately all I remember! Ah well, I'll get the specific answers from the shop I imagine. Thanks for the help tiachica and SarzWix.

Comment

Sorry, I don't do "additives". Make my wine from natural products, with just yeast and sugar.

Comment

I've just done a kit myself (though not your Hedgerow Kit, I'm sure it's v.similar).

I add citric acid at the beginning, with the sugar, fruit etc.

Then I let it bubble out until it's finished blupping. Then the stabilser and finings no2 get added.
                  Leave it for another few days, then add finings no 3, chitosan is another fining agent.
                  As to oak extract, have a read of this
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X