Have I had a eureka moment?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I had a eureka moment?

I have tried several times to make wine and have yet to make anything that is actually drinkable, and believe me, I will drink most things.

Thinking about it last night in bed, I may have realised why, but want to make sure before I try again.

I have always chucked the ingredients in, left it to stop fermenting and then bottled it.
    Would I be right in saying that it HAS to be racked off into another demijon for a period of time before being bottled?
    Bob Leponge
    Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

I always rack at least once Boblepong. Depending on what the basis of the wine is. Don't you find an awful lot of sediment in the bottom of the bottle? You'd be bound to get an "off" taste if there is.
    Last edited by Sanjo; 08-10-2009, 08:59 PM.

Comment

I had visions of you, tin bath, nekkid, wine making...

Not for the faint hearted.

So glad I was way off!
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Thats why I said in bed HW, much more palatable for the masses.
        Bob Leponge
        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Sanjo, many thanks for the reply. I have actually racked off the latest wine, rosehip this time, so am hoping for something that doesnt go straight down the drain this time.
          Bob Leponge

Comment

We always rack our a couple of times, mainly to rack out the sediment, and also to ensure that fermentation has finished. Some will take more racking than others. My dandelion only took one, but the sloe says to rack twice monthly for 6 months!

Comment

The other thing Bob is (and I know this might be difficult, I know it is for me) but try and leave it in the bottles for at least 6 months, it really does improve with age. I usually drink 4 and keep 2 or 3 to mature.
              A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Ok so with the second and subsequent rackings, should they be necessary, do I still use an airlock or an airtight cork?

Scarey, whilst I hear ya sister, I have some stuff that I opened yesterday, 3 years old, and still totally undrinkable, so I think I definitely have a fault in the process somewhere.
                Bob Leponge

Comment

You need to have an airlock fitted at all times, to keep dust, germs and vinegar flies out.

I imagine wine that has been left on the less (sediment) for long will be pretty awful ... what exactly does it taste like though? Vinegary, or musty?
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I tend to leave the Primary fermentation (on the lees) for only about 4 days, then strain off the bits. Juice only into DJ.

This is now Secondary fermentation: eave that until the vigorous blupping has stopped (a week or so) then rack it ... there will be a layer of sediment in bottom of DJ (add it to compost heap?)

I would then rack it a 2nd or 3rd time if it's not clearing.

Comment

Bother, I had put a cork in the DJ, will now sprint and put an airlock in.

The other stuff was neither musty or even vinegary, it smelt sort of wine ish, but the taste was difficult to describe, but certainly neither of the above.

The rosehip was left till all the bubbling in the airlock had stopped. I then transferred to a second DJ (my only other one, not posh like Janeyo) with a cork, where it is clearing daily.
                      But will now go and put an airlock in, ta muchly.
                      Bob Leponge

Comment

... and sterilise everything, of course

Comment

Fear not,
                          My kitchen is cleaner than Christian Barnard's hands when it comes to winestuffs.
                          Bob Leponge

Comment

My first batch was Cherry Plum ... everything was going well, although I had to sterilise all the equipment in batches cos of lack of room ... gave it all a final stir ... and then dropped a dish cloth in the bucket.

Comment

Maybe you are just not making wines that you actually like?

Maybe they could be blended to make them more palatable?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X