Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fizzy ?? Wine?

Hi all
    Anyone any suggestions as to what to do with a raspberry wine which tasted somewhat fizzy when I racked it for it's second time? The SG is at 960 and it's really pretty dry (but very flavoursome). It was from Berry's book, but I didn't take the starting SG (was our first attempt at making anything boozy so was a bit over excited!). Any ideas?

Put in a warmish place and let it ferment a bit longer. It may take a few weeks but will get there in the end. The keyword with home-made wine is patience!

Comment

Chances are it needs de-gassing. Empty some of the wine into a sterilised jug or bottle (to allow frothing space) and then put your hand over the top of the dj and give it a ruddy good shake then release the pressure. Do this a number of times until either the wine stops fizzing or the foam disperses quickly (couple of seconds) then taste again. If the wine is already clear you can bottle it, if it is not clear, leave it till it does clear then bottle.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Hi and thanks. The de-gassing sounds about right, as it's been fermenting for a while now and doesn't appear to be doing anything in the airlock. It's also pretty clear now. Thanks again....

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
          .........until either the wine stops fizzing or the foam disperses quickly (couple of seconds) then taste again.....
          Do not forget this vital step!

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
            Chances are it needs de-gassing.
            Ah, glad you asked Mac: that must be what I have to do to mine. They're fizzy, but not blupping through the airlocks anymore

Thanks girls.
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 30-09-2009, 06:32 PM.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hazel - thanks for the advice, although am on a no-alcohol health kick at the moment (not for long though!), am sure this will be allowed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X