Blackberry wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snap!

I thought 'that is really thin' when I had a sly glug during bottling a couple weeks ago. The taste is really subtle, though it is drinkable. However, as I had about half a bottle over, I opened the half bottle earlier and it tastes a bit better - think I will leave that at least a year before I return to the full bottles!

I just bottled the elderberry this evening and was lucky enough to have about 2/3 of a pint over - I am currently sipping that and it is a lot more drinkable than I was expecting. I think I will try it again in 12 months.

I was a bit disappointed though as the other gallon of elderberry stuck and I have been unable to restart it - must be about 8% but extremely sweet.

I was very impressed with the sloe wine - will be aiming to make 30 bottles of that next year!
    Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

Originally posted by Madmac View Post
      Hi all,

I've put some blackberry wine into some demijohns and think I may have put too much in.
      I've fermented the blackberry's on the pulp in a bin for about 10 days. It was only meant to be 4 or 5 but I had to go away for a few days. Anyway this morning I strained, pressed and added sugar and water to the brew, enough for 2 demi's. Question is did I put too much in each jar or is this normal?

link to video

YouTube - blackberry wine

Oh dear!, somewhat reminiscient of my first raspberry wine but less disasterous!, mine had some fruit pulp still in it! which formed a cap that blocked the airlock, the resulting explosion left my mother inlaws kitchen looking like a scene from a horror film, dripping red gore and an interesting spray pattern up behind the fridge on which the DJ had been sitting, it took several coats of emulsion to return the wall to its original white!!.
      Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Picked a bucket full of elderberries today, the blackberries are already in the freezer: gallons of port on the way
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi. I've just joined and am facinated by all the recipes! I live in France and have never seen demi johns on sale here. Is there an alternative I could use or 'build'? I've got so much fruit it seems a shame not to make wine (there's only so much jam you can eat each year!). Also, can I freeze the fruit and make wine in a month or so? Looking a

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            blackberries are already in the freezer: gallons of port on the way
            Originally posted by lesaires View Post
            can I freeze the fruit ...?
            yup, you can

Comment

Duh as my daughter would say! Thanks! I realised there were comments I hadn't read afterwards! Any ideas on the demi john question? At least if I can freeze the fruit I could maybe wait for someone to bring some DJs from England I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by lesaires View Post
                Any ideas on the demi john question?
                nope ~ though some of the French Grapes might be able to help, eg. Bobleponge, Nicos (and others).

I use 5 litre water bottles, with a bung placed in the bottle cap.
                Last edited by Two_Sheds; 13-09-2011, 08:25 AM.

Comment

As you probably already know from living here the French dont make country wines. Ze vine is made from zee grape.
                  I managed to find about 20 demigods on one of the Anglo-French websites, cant remember which, from a Brit who was going back to UK and I also bought a load from Fleabay and collected them on a trip back.
                  Hope that helps.
                  Bob Leponge
                  Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Originally posted by mrdinkle View Post
                    Snap!

I thought 'that is really thin' when I had a sly glug during bottling a couple weeks ago. The taste is really subtle, though it is drinkable. However, as I had about half a bottle over, I opened the half bottle earlier and it tastes a bit better - think I will leave that at least a year before I return to the full bottles!

I just bottled the elderberry this evening and was lucky enough to have about 2/3 of a pint over - I am currently sipping that and it is a lot more drinkable than I was expecting. I think I will try it again in 12 months.

I was a bit disappointed though as the other gallon of elderberry stuck and I have been unable to restart it - must be about 8% but extremely sweet.

I was very impressed with the sloe wine - will be aiming to make 30 bottles of that next year!
                    Could you post the sloe wine recipe please, as I cant find it after using the search facility.
                    I probably have a minimum of 30lb of sloes around the garden this year, so wine could be a good option.
                    Bob Leponge
                    Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
                      Could you post the sloe wine recipe please
                      I can't find anything either with the "new" search facility (they changed it to irk me, I'm sure). So, I go on that devil search engine and type in "grapevine sloe wine" and got this: Sloe Wine

Comment

Ta TS, will be having a bash at this today
                        Bob Leponge

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X