No announcement yet.

getting cross with CJJ Berry now

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use that book also especialy the elderberry recipe and your right the pictures are great. Scous1

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      nowhere in the recipe does he say when to add the nutrient. I now think he meant to add it with the yeast at the beginning ... so is it too late to add it now? (I'm just starting secondary fermentation)
      So.
      I don't think it fermented.
      I've just taken another SG, and it's the same as it was the last two times: around 1032 (it started at 1010)

I'm going to try to restart fermentation on Monday when I can get some champagne yeast
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        So.
        I don't think it fermented.
        I've just taken another SG, and it's the same as it was the last two times: around 1032 (it started at 1010)

I'm going to try to restart fermentation on Monday when I can get some champagne yeast
        I wouldn't necessarily bother buying champagne yeast. The method is good, but you probably could get away with general purpose yeast if you go a bit slower (ie, 8-12 hours between additions, rather than 6).
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
          I should think it'd be fine to add the nutrient now. I think it's just to keep the yeast going when the alcohol content gets high enough to start inhibiting it.

The Berry book drives me crackers too - the OH is really the brewing expert in our house, so I need instructions that start at the beginning and carry on to the end, not tell you half of it somewhere else (or assume that you know it already).
          The one I use most often is much clearer, and it has nice pictures too...

A Step by Step Guide to Making Homemade Wine: Amazon.co.uk: Judith Irwin: Books

ETA: And the wines have all turned out really well so far (a most important point )
          hi ... glad it's not just me who finds Berry book confusing. I prefer to have whole recipe and step by step guide to what I'm making - a few pictures help too! Otherwise it seems a bit hit and miss to have to keep referring to other pages / recipes to complete tasks.

thanks for link - will take a look at book you recommend ... as a beginner to wine making I need all the help I can get
          Last edited by leicestershirelass; 02-11-2009, 11:19 AM.
          Lass

In all things of nature there is something marvellous.
          - Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by leicestershirelass View Post
            hi ... glad it's not just me who finds Berry book confusing. I prefer to have whole recipe and step by step guide to what I'm making - a few pictures help too! Otherwise it seems a bit hit and miss to have to keep referring to other pages / recipes to complete tasks.

thanks for link - will take a look at book you recommend ... as a beginner to wine making I need all the help I can get
            Takes all sorts. I hate recipes which 'treat me like an idiot'. If a certain part of the process is always the same, I don't need telling every time! (but then I've been making wine on and off for 30 years, and I have my own approach, wich isn't quite 'by the book, ANY book)
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X