I gallon boiling water

Campden tablet

Pectozyme

Nutrient

Sauterne yeast

Rind and juice 2 large lemons

------------------------

DAY ONE
    Stalk and wash the fruit, freeze them for a day or two (it breaks down the cell walls and makes extracting the juice easier)

DAY TWO
    Pop thawed plums into a fermenting bin, add the chopped raisins and the lemon rind, then pour on the boiling water.

When cool mash the fruit with your hands and remove the stones and skins (it's easy, but takes ages: put a good album on).

Add one Campden tablet, one teaspoonful of pectozyme and the lemon juice. Put a tight lid on your bin.

Start off your yeast, by adding it to a sterilised bottle of warm water with 1tbsp of sugar and a pinch of yeast nutrient. Bung the top with cotton wool, and leave in a warm room for 24 hours.

DAY THREE

add the actively fermenting yeast to the bin and ferment for five days, stirring every day. Then strain and press, add 2.5 Ib. sugar and continue the fermentation.

Add the remaining three doses of 4 oz. sugar each time the S. G. falls below 1.010. Rack and mature in the usual way.

Adapted from the website below, which says 28lb of sugar, which must surely be a typo
    Nick Truman's Ferrari and Wine Making Website
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 31-10-2009, 05:21 PM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

No way should you need 28 lbs of sugar

Comment

I used about 5-6lbs of cherry plums. And 500g of sultanas (or raisins can't recall).

I destoned the plums and added the raisins then added about 2 litres of boiling water. Mashed it all up. I left for 48 hours stiring regularly.
      BEWARE there will be a LOT of mould to scrape off!!!! when you then strain into saucepan, add 3 lbs ish of sugar and make up water to fill a demijohn, disolving the sugar as you go. When cooled again add yeast and peptic enzyme.... I didn't bother with lemon.

Mine had to be racked again 2 days later as a lot of extra scum had formed and I didn't want it to go mouldy. But now it looks fine a week on.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        Add the remaining three doses of 4 oz. sugar each time the S. G. falls below 1.010.
        The SG has never been below 1010

6 Sep: 1040
        12 Sep: 1012 (I added 4oz of sugar anyway)
        17 Sep: 1012

What does that all mean then?

Comment

ah, now it has: 1008

So I added 4oz sugar as instructed (shoulda tasted it first .... it's like syrup!)
          and SG is now 1020

I might have to decant it into 2 DJs now and dilute the sugar with grape juice or something

Still, it's clearing nicely, apart from the bits of plum skin floating around in it
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 25-09-2009, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Just done the 2nd racking (not much sediment left in the DJ this time).
            SG is 1004
            Superbly clear, tastes yummy (sweet & strong). Even Mr S liked it

Comment

4th rack today: I don't like it as much as my other wines, which is a real shame because we have dozens of cherry plum trees at the back of our house.

How can I improve it? If I did it again, I think I'd use only 2lb sugar.

Or perhaps I'd use cherry plums to replace the damsons in the port recipe on here: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...erry-wine.html
              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 25-01-2010, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X