Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dried Elderflower Recipes

Howdy all.

I successfully made a batch of Elderflower Champagne and was gearing up to make a load of cordial as I love the stuff. However, due to circumstances beyond my control I have been unable to concentrate on my hobbies!

Can I make cordial (or wine) from dried Elderflowers (the Young's ones) and if so does anyone know the correct quantities to use?

I have searched the interweb extensively and have found nothing useful.

Thanks you.
    Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

It mentions a weight and how many flower-heads it's equal to in a C.J.J Berry recipe for elderflower wine, but I can't find the book! If someone else has their's handy....?
    I'll keep looking for it

Comment

Ahhhh, I have a tatty old copy of 'first steps in winemaking' - I will try and find it!

Thanks

Comment

I made elderflower cordial but alas not enough! Even the bottles i put in the freezer have been used up!
        Can you buy dried elderflowers? If so I'll deffo make some more!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Yes you can get them in 50g Young's bags. Hence the research to find what quantities are required.

I am really into the cordial too!

Comment

Cancel the last question! Just been on google and eBay where there's loads!
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Have you found it MrDinkle? I can't imagine where ours has gone, I only used it the other day

Comment

ok. According to CJJ berry:

3/4 pint elderflowers fresh = 1/2 oz dry.

Comment

(1/2) ounce = 14.1747616 grams

Comment

All the recipes I have found say X heads. Balls. How do you convert x heads to pints?

Comment

Erm.... Is his ¾ pint without stalks, or with...?

I'd just guess at about a level dessert spoonful to a head.
                      Last edited by SarzWix; 14-08-2009, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Yes this is quite difficult to fathom. 15g of dried flowers is enough for 6 bottles of wine.

Cordial will need a larger quantity, just not sure how much - I mean what is 30 large fresh heads in dried money?!

Comment

I found this:

Elderflower cordial on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This makes out that 50g dried will make 500ml cordial. So does this mean it is cheaper to buy ready made cordial?

Comment

One thing I DO know about elderflowers is that if you get the quantity wrong it can finish up smelling of cat pee!!!!!!!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by mrdinkle View Post
                              All the recipes I have found say X heads. Balls. How do you convert x heads to pints?
                              I actually tested this one. I got a pint of 'just flowers' from 24 heads.
                              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X