Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Pressure Barrel

Hi All,

I have recently started making my own home brew and have just had a very successful batch of bitter so I decided to try some lager. Having only just started I have only collected so far about 40 bottles and the bitter is currently in those (or what's left of it anyway )

For the Lager I decided to try a pressure barrel so I can pour it off as and when, so I followed the instructions that came with the kit, put the sugar in the barrel and started the secondary fermentation in there. Unfortunately the pressure seems to build up so much that the tap at the bottom is starting to push out slightly and springs a leak, If I let some of the pressure out it goes back to normal. Do I have a faulty barrel or am I doing something wrong??? To be on the safe side I syphoned out 20 pints into bottles that I went and got so I wouldn't lose it all if it did go but still have 20 pints in there.

Any help would be fantastic.
    Last edited by Paul D84; 12-08-2009, 06:50 AM.
    Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot

Ihave never had any luck with pressure barrels, I have two - one leaks as soon as there is any pressure and the other cannot be pressurised enough once the fluid falls below half way. With the last lot of beer I made (and with the one brewing now) I bottled all I had bottles for and left the rest undisturbed in the brew bucket till I had more bottles. I dunno if we just drink it fast but it was okay done that way.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

fit a cap with a pressure valve in it

from all good brew shops
      Anthony

Comment

Thank you for all your help, I have just ordered a pressure cap so hopefully this will sort out the problem.
        Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot

Comment

Sounds like you have either added too much primer sugar or you have not fermented your brew out before putting it into the barrel.

Comment

It is essential to have a top with a method of releasing too much pressure, either the type that has a rubber ring around a vent hole, a bit like a bicycle schraeder valve or more expensive a spring loaded type. Normally the gas only lasts for half the barrel, two ways to add gas, one with a "sparklet" CO2 injector or with a beer gas cylinder.
            When fitting either the tap or the top don't forget to lube the rubber sealing ring to get a proper seal, I use a smear of Vasaline.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X