How boozey?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How boozey?

Hi all. I forgot to do the hydrometer thingy at the start of the raspberry wine that I've got on the go (was just too excited!). It was in the bucket with all the ingredients for 3 days, then I took a measurement before I put it in the DJ's (1.040). Is there any way I can work out roughly how boozey it's going to be from this? Not overly bothered as from the wee taste I took when transfering it - it's going to be luverly!

You are never going to get an accurate % with no starting measurement. You will be able to work out the minimum alcohol content from the reading you did take.

Cheers
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

How much sugar did you put in to start with, Mac?

Comment

Hi Hazel. It was half the weight of the fruit - 3lbs rasps so 1 1/2lbs sugar - making up 2 gallons of wine.

Shirl - Ach well, not really a problem, was just going to work out whether it was a drink like normal wine wine, or don't drink too much wine wine... It's still plopping away in the cupboard next to the bath (bizarre place for a cupboard, but fits DJ's with air locks perfectly, so previous house owners did a great job!

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
          Hi Hazel. It was half the weight of the fruit - 3lbs rasps so 1 1/2lbs sugar - making up 2 gallons of wine.

Shirl - Ach well, not really a problem, was just going to work out whether it was a drink like normal wine wine, or don't drink too much wine wine... It's still plopping away in the cupboard next to the bath (bizarre place for a cupboard, but fits DJ's with air locks perfectly, so previous house owners did a great job!
          That's not much sugar for 2 gallons! It would be unusual for 3lbs fruit to include as much as 3/4lb fruit-sugar, plus the added sugar is still less than 2½lbs in total. That would be a nice amount for a dry table wine, in ONE gallon!
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Hi Hilary, I'll double check the recipe when I get home tonight (am at work trying to avoid spreadsheets!), but that figure rang a bell in my brain

Comment

Hi again Hilary. Right, now that I've got my pounds and kilo's worked out!! It was a 3 pounds of rasps and 2 kilos of sugar to make up 2 gallons.
              It's still plopping away in the DJ's. I had some spare which I've left in the bucket in the shed. Am I right that I use this to top up the DJ's when I rack it? (Had a wee taste of that last night as FIL was up and interested what it was like - was again v.yummy, but definately tasted a bit more "winey" than the other day).

Comment

That sounds more like it!
                Yeah best to use the 'leftover' stuff to top up after racking, as long as you have kept the vinegar fly out!I usually put the 'leftover' wine in a wine bottle, and use some cottonwool to plug the neck. It lets gas out, shouldn't let flies in, and keeps the air control about right, for a while.... In a bucket there is more risk of flies, and rather a lot of air.....

Comment

Hilary - Genius! I want to get some red elder started this weekend, and this would free up one of the buckets! (picture of Mac feeling really thick now!) So do you think this amount of sugar will give me a decent strenght wine at the end?

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
                    Hilary - Genius! I want to get some red elder started this weekend, and this would free up one of the buckets! (picture of Mac feeling really thick now!) So do you think this amount of sugar will give me a decent strenght wine at the end?
                    It's close to the amount that CJJ Berry recommends for a dry table wine. I don't 'do' the science stuff these days. Shirlthegirl is the expert on doing things 'properly', but it sounds pretty good to me!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X